The position will oversee all areas of the operation including primary responsibility for the oversight of fund administration through a third party fund administrator, SEC registration, HR & IT vendors, cash management and financial reporting. The successful candidate will provide strong day-to- day leadership without foregoing the long-term vision and growth of the company. This person will work closely with executive management as well as assist in managing banking and outside partner relationships. As a member of the management team, this person will serve as an advisor to the partners, providing input on operating and issues and investment opportunities. The position will have flexibility to work a portion of the week remotely until the company relocates to Stamford in mid-2019.
- Oversight and management of the financial closing process and reporting including the review of monthly reporting packages, financial statements, performance and preparation of quarterly investor reports in collaboration with a third party fund administrator.
- Provide strategic oversight in relation to cash management, vendor management and compliance related issues and participate in the gradual build out of the organization.
- Serve as Chief Compliance Officer for SEC compliance in liaison with and direction from outside compliance consultant, including updates to Form ADV, monitoring submissions of quarterly compliance reports, scheduling annual compliance training, and other responsibilities of compliance management.
- Analyze and recommend enhancements to the Firm’s policies and procedures in order to strengthen controls around key areas of operational risk.
- Oversee the consolidation, review and validation of the fair market valuation packages prepared by the Investment Team.
- Primary liaison with the Firm’s third-party audit firm and tax professionals (in conjunction with fund administrator) for the completion of annual fund level audits and tax returns.
- Management of outside payroll provider, including the accounts payable process, coding of all invoices, approval of all batch entries, and the 1099 annual reporting process.
- Provide oversight to the cash management process and liaise with the firm’s banking partners as well as assist to oversee the cash management and forecasting for all funds under management.
- Oversee the outside fund administrator regarding the implementation of the investor portal, delivery of investor communications such as capital calls, distributions, account statements, K-1s and ad hoc client / consultant requests as needed.
- Management of other vendors including corporate insurance, background checks, IT, internet, telecom, etc.
- Provide accounting oversight on the review and approval of the monthly accounting reporting packages for all joint venture entities.
- Review waterfall calculations and settlement statements for asset dispositions.
- Participate in the preparation of regulatory filings as needed.
- Participate in the due diligence process and on-boarding process of new operating partners, as needed.
- Participate in special projects as required by the Managing Partners.
Our client is a real estate investment management company focused on investing in and alongside small and mid-sized real estate operators and developers through commingled discretionary funds with institutional investors. Our client’s mission is to partner with real estate operators who can take advantage of growth opportunities and will benefit from a long-term relationship with an experienced and committed investment partner.
- Minimum of 10 years of accounting experience in the real estate fund administration and/or the public accounting sector.
- Organized with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work in an entrepreneurial environment and show a willingness to collaborate and multitask.
- Leadership skills and the ability to effectively manage people and processes.
- Strong project management, analytical and organizational skills.
- High level of proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook), Yardi, Argus.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- BA/BS in accounting, business, finance or related. CPA, preferred.