POSITION: Senior Development Manager
LOCATION: New York, NY
The Senior Development Manager will coordinate pre-development, construction and turnover of multi-family projects. He/she will be responsible for contracting for and performing due diligence tasks with respect to zoning, title, environmental risk and other potential barriers to development. He/she will provide support to the team in analyzing and determining the financial feasibility of proposed projects and will be responsible for coordinating with consultants and municipalities, negotiating and coordinating with architects, engineers, general contractors, subcontractors and trades, and reporting on project progress to principals. This is a dynamic, fast paced opportunity for a mission driven professional to make an impact with a growing real estate firm.
- Project initiation (provide support to the team regarding financial feasibility, schedule & budget, & securing community and political support).
- Project determination (provide support to the team regarding financial structure, funding commitments, cost estimates, establishment of project pro forma, and feasibility due diligence).
- Manage the due diligence process: planning, design, entitlement/approval, and construction coordination for the entire project, including selection of (and coordination amongst) attorneys, architects, engineers, contractors, subcontractors, etc.
- Coordinate with property management and asset management to determine the unit mix, unit sizes, unit amenities, project amenities, marketing lease-up budgets, and operating lease-up budgets.
- Create and maintain overall development schedules throughout pre-development, construction, project opening, and stabilization.
- Manage the overall development process, serving as day-to-day liaison with internal construction management group and external design team.
- Work to keep scope and cost in balance while meeting schedule and quality objectives. Oversee cost management/reporting. Prepare reports to internal management and external clients as needed.
- Participate and collaborate with operations/marketing team during construction/delivery period; ensure follow-up with appropriate parties as needed with issues that arise.
- Manage comprehensive tracking of project data for required reporting: construction progress, budget tracking, sales and/or leasing status, periodic market updates.
- Coordination with construction manager to ensure successful completion and stabilization of projects on time and within budget.
- Partner with legal to review and approve all project agreements and contracts.
- Research and track latest industry trends as directed or required for assigned projects.
- Perform other duties as directed in other areas where the position’s skills, knowledge and experience may be needed.
- Minimum 4 college degree, prefer engineering or architectural focus.
- Minimum of 5-7 years of progressive experience in the development of multifamily housing.
- Demonstrated track record of seeing multifamily projects from site evaluation to completion.
- Ability to assess and manage risk factors affecting projects and the firm.
- Ability to work with and communicate with a broad range of individuals and professions.
- Strong financial and analytical skills, with a passion for real estate development.
- Ability to handle multiple projects through the consistent completion of tasks with established deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office, including Excel and MS Project.
- Strong strategic planning and management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills such as that he/she deals successfully with personnel on all levels in the organization and relates well to contacts outside the organization.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to absorb and act on complex legal documents such as land contracts, title restrictions, and permanent and construction financing agreements.
- Energetic, positive, excellent character, and exceptional negotiating skills.