Our client is an international real estate advisor that acquires, develops and manages properties and places – specializing in mixed-use and office environments in the world’s leading cities.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Our client is seeking a highly capable, experienced, and motivated commercial development professional for the role of Vice President, Development to lead and oversee development and capital expenditure projects for a 4.1m square-foot US portfolio of assets located in Boston, Washington DC, San Francisco and Seattle. Based in Boston, the Vice President will lead a team of four experienced internal development professionals and an extended team of external contractors and consultants responsible for the impeccable execution of development projects ranging from complex repositioning and full development to smaller projects and tenant fit outs.
In this role, the Vice President will also be responsible for the operations of the firm’s global development team, developing processes and protocols to ensure adherence to established governance procedures and accuracy of financial reporting, as well as assuming responsibility for investor reporting as it relates to cash flow forecasting, development investments, milestones, and proposals. Additionally, the Vice President will establish a close working relationship with the firm’s finance, legal, marketing, and asset management teams to ensure a holistic and aligned view of development priorities, delivery of projects, and financials.
- Oversee all US development projects of various size and scale and directly manage multiple complex redevelopment and capital expenditure projects, ensuring adherence to the firm’s brand and quality standards.
- Understand project complexities, timelines and status for all US development projects; anticipate, mitigate, and resolve issues and conflicts that arise during the development process.
- Lead a team of accomplished development professionals; provide oversight and direction on development planning and project execution as well as actively coach, develop and support team members to achieve career goals.
- Develop and implement efficient and effective processes to manage operations of the firm’s global development team, including financial reporting, cash flow forecasting, project audits, systems adoption and usage, and investor reporting.
- Participate in due-diligence of potential acquisitions - establish development and/or capital improvement scenarios for consideration in underwriting and investor proposals.
- Partner with the firm’s US asset management team to develop capital expenditure strategies and budgets, assist on lease exhibits, and tenant improvement reviews.
- Align team (direct reports and 3rd party consultants) to appropriate projects and manage capacity and project resourcing to ensure adequate coverage for projects.
The successful candidate will have:
- A bachelor's degree in Architecture or Engineering with 15+ years of experience in commercial real estate development, including leading teams to success in end-to-end delivery of medium to large capital projects and developments and a strong knowledge of building systems, design and construction.
- Demonstrated record of successful project management in complex situations and the ability to effectively manage and organize multiple simultaneous projects and priorities, while maintaining a focus on quality and attention to detail.
- A customer-focused and holistic approach to development, taking into consideration a wide-array of stakeholder perspectives including tenants, investors, and internal teams.
- Proven leadership skills that cultivate collaboration among internal and external team members.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; the ability to communicate clearly with individuals and teams across various levels and disciplines.
- Proficiency in project management and control software; previous experience with Yardi CM preferred.
- A self-starting personality that works well with limited direction. Suitability to a culture that places a premium on performance and quality.
- Strong relationships and reputation within construction and real estate industry.