The Chief Financial Officer will be a senior financial planner and strategist for the Company. This position will work closely with the Partners and the Chief Accounting Officer. The CFO will have primary responsibility for the long-term finanical strategy and planning, financial risk management, strategic capital raising and investor reporting. This individual will work closely with the CAO/EVP of Finance in the oversight of the accounting and treasury management functions of the Company as well as certain property level debt financing activities. The first major role for the CFO will be to work with the Partnership on the five-year business/capital plan and will be looked to as a key participant in this process.
The position provides exposure to a full spectrum of duties within a top tier real estate development firm. As such, the position demands a very dedicated person with excellent attention to detail, leadership skills, facility with numbers, good people skills and the ability to prioritize, multi-task, work independently, and solve problems.
Company Capital Strategy
• Develop the Company’s long-term capital strategy as part of the five-year business planning process outlined above including projected sources and uses of capital;
• Work with CIO/Partners on the firm's capital market strategies and process;
• Evaluate refinancing opportunities and work with the CAO/EVP of Finance on debt recapitalization strategy;
• Ensure investment returns and strategy are being realized, including determining, tracking and reporting on appropriate metrics for measuring financial productivity and success;
• Financial reporting – Establish and oversee a best-in-class internal and investor reporting portal/platform that efficiently and effectively tracks all third-party investor accounts and provides investors with state-of-the-art information and transparency;
• Will serve on the Real Estate Committee and attend all Partner Meetings;
Corporate Financial Management and Systems
The CFO will have an oversight role in the management of the following items, working closely with the Chief Accounting Officer, Director of Accounting, Corporate Controller and financial team on the day-to-day execution of these systems and processes:
• Develop and oversee annual budgets for the Operating Company;
• Collaborate with Executive Leadership team, develop the strategy to ensure that the organization has the financial resources needed to achieve its current and future goals, while mitigating financial and operational risk;
• Assist in acquisition, disposition and financing processes as necessary;
• Define the financial strategy, manage financial capital and communicate capital requirements/implications of assets;
• Conduct meaningful proactive analysis to improve key financial decisions focusing on management of working capital, use of financial vehicles;
• Maintain and expand real estate lending relationships with local and national banks, insurance companies, Debt Funds and other strategic lenders;
• Act as a strategic partner to the Senior Management Team on all matters related to finance, accounting, tax and reporting;
• Develop and ensure the implementation of financial standard operating procedures and controls for the Company;
• Ensure all accounting and cash management processes are consistent with best-in-class industry practices;
• Help to prepare and modify all financial statements, audits and budgets for the corporate platform;
• Ensure compliance with construction lender requirements and all local, state, and federal tax filings and reporting requirements;
• Coordinate with outside CPA’s and other consultants to maximize tax efficiency in the corporate structure and on all transactions;
• Evaluate existing financial systems and procure and manage/integrate new financial systems and upgrades required;
• Forecast long-term cash needs; provide proactive day-to-day cash management.
Our client operates as a real estate owner, developer and leasing firm. The Company offers services including site selection, property acquisition and management, project management, leasing, financing and marketing. Their portfolio includes shopping and retail centers, power centers, and urban mixed use projects.
• At least 15 years of real estate finance experience and managing a team is a must – with examples of demonstrated excellence in the workplace;
• An MBA or CPA is highly desirable;
• A CFO must display a cohesive ability at interpersonal and strong communication skills, both verbally and written. They must be able to engage with staff at all levels of the organization and exercise sound judgement;
• Technology knowledge, ability to communicate the benefits of digital investments and data management;
• An effective organizational leader, ability to balance stewardship with business partnership, integrator and navigator, finance and accounting leader;
• Intensely entrepreneurial, risk taker as well as risk manager;
• Multidimensional thinker who moves fluidly between creative problem-solving, critical thinking and strategic thinking;
• Highly collaborative.