Reports to: President
Location: Northeast United States
Under the direction of the President, the Controller is responsible for the administration, budgeting and financial functions of the Company. The Controller directs and coordinates the daily activities of the Company’s accounting function to oversee the general ledger. In such capacity, the Controller will quickly and accurately record the Company’s revenues, expenditures, assets and liabilities. The Controller is also responsible for preparing monthly and annual financial statements, facilitating audits, and other requests for financial data. Supervises a staff of three employees in the financial function.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for the overall accounting operations and accuracy of the general ledger including Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Job Cost Accounting, Homeowner’s Association (HOA), and cash flow management.
- Directs the monthly trial balance and resulting financial statements, including the income statement, balance sheet and statement of changes in financial condition, along with required supporting schedules and other data necessary for financial reports and records.
- Oversees HOA transitions to the homeowner from Development by ensuring deeds are prepared and signed for all common areas, and making sure all plans are turned over to the HOA.
- Responsible for correspondence with the management company, homeowners, and other involved parties. Address to completion any issues that arise from the budget, homeowner requirements or complaints, or management company needs.
- Oversee HOA management and maintenance by serving on HOA boards and attending HOA meetings.
- Facilitate HOA documentation, including coordinating with the town’s Land Court for pertinent information.
- Maintains accounting and internal control systems, practices and procedures to assure contractually compliant and legal project accounting.
- Journal entries and accruals (purchase/transfer/sale of assets, loan refinancing) in multiple entities.
- Manages and conducts internal auditing programs to ensure that records are accurately maintained and that established policies and practices are satisfactorily and consistently followed.
- Prepares operating budgets and financial forecasts for approval by the President.
- Analyzes financial information, monitors budgeted versus actual expenditures, and advises management on variances and their potential causes; recommends corrective actions to ensure that budget goals are met.
- Selects, trains, supervises, and evaluates the accounting staff.
- Monitors accounts receivable and acts according to established policies and procedures.
- Performs such other duties as may be assigned by the Company at its discretion from time to time.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Highly organized and able to prioritize and manage time efficiently with the ability to handle stress in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required. Detail-oriented with strong proofreading skills necessary
- Must take initiative, be reliable, dependable, and act independently when performing assignments.
- Understanding of percentage of completion accounting method
- Familiar with HOA billing practices
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Must be proficient in Microsoft suite (including Word, Excel, and Visio). Experience with Beanworks software and Jonas Club software preferred.
Credentials and Experience
- 10 + years of experience as a senior accounting & operations manager
- 5+ years of experience in scalable, high-growth portoflios within the development and construction industry
- Bachelor’s degree
- CPA Preferred