Our client is looking for a Controller to lead the firm’s accounting activities and provide the financial/analytical support for a growing Manhattan-based real estate company. Responsibility for all financial control including; accounting, reporting, and supervision of production of the consolidated audited financial statement for the firm and its subsidiaries.
- Financial statements: Maintaining comparative historical financial statements and budgets for all owned/managed buildings and entities.
- Manage third party property accountants, auditors and other third-party consultants (as necessary). Review all financial reports as related to building financials, tax filings and all relevant financial statements.
- Tax related issues: review tax returns prepared by outside CPA for consistency with internal financial reports; provide all records to outside CPA’s; keep track of all filing requirements; file taxes for simple returns (non-operating entities, family returns).
- Transaction related work: check closing statements, assist in analysis of building financial statements and budgets. Record all transactions as related to acquisitions, financing and refinancing.
- Manage and maintain all banking relationships as the central point of contact. Work with banks for all cash management and financing issues.
- Building management reports: Quarterly controlling review of financial reports for each building to assure proper accounting and to perform analytical tests. Review of reports as outlined in controlling worksheet.
- Quarterly review of building improvements (economic life per cost segregation criteria into splitting into 7, 10, 15 and 39 year life), tenant improvements (all have 15 year life) and commissions (lease term) for each building to classify properly and update schedules.
- Compliance check of CMBS loan obligations: assure sending quarterly and annual financial statements to loan servicer as specified in loan documents.
- Bookkeeping for real estate management company: balance sheets/income statements/general ledger.
- Maintain capital accounts for all buildings.
- Management of company cash flow for forecasting.
- Investor relations: respond to all investor queries for specific property information.
- Management of compliance and legal issues.
Our client is a vertically integrated real estate investment firm with a commercial portfolio valued over $1B. The firm’s portfolio is comprised of primarily Class A and Class B office buildings in New York City.
- 5+ years of experience.
- Undergraduate accounting degree. Commercial real estate experience required.
- CPA strongly preferred.
- Strong PC skills and excellent knowledge of Yardi, QuickBooks, Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Ability to work prioritize work, exhibiting superior organizational skills.
- Experience implementing and maintaining policies and procedure.
- Strong work ethic and “get it done” attitude.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated analytic and quantitative skills.
- Proactive with issues and highly responsive to management.
- Strong attention to detail and follow up.
- High degree of professional and personal integrity.