Our client is a leading commercial real estate investment and development firm, having successfully acquired, developed, re-positioned and/or entitled and managed over five million square feet of real estate over the past 35 years, valued at over $3 billion.
Focused on high quality, mixed-use development assets in leading gateway markets, with a strong emphasis on creative place making and value add approaches to real estate, our client is among the top tier of real estate development and management firms in the New England market.
During the design and planning stages of a large, multi-phased new construction project in the City of Boston, review, evaluate and advise Senior Development Manager and Senior Construction Manager of cost impacts, constructability issues, and schedule implications.
Upon construction commencement, act as the developer’s on-site representative overseeing all aspects of construction on behalf of the Owner, working under a Senior Construction Manager.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Concept / Schematic Phase:
- Provide technical construction management support to the development team.
- Provide technical expertise in materials, products, techniques and procedures.
- Review the general contractor’s project schedule for logic and accuracy.
- Review the conceptual budget from the general contractor and identify strategies to achieve development budget.
- Other tasks as required by Development, Operations and Construction team.
- Review progress of construction documents and budget at each schedule milestone, typically after schematic documents, 50% design documents, and permit submission documents.
- Provide feedback on constructability and identify potential schedule impacts
- Lead value engineering exercises as required
Permitting / Preconstruction Phase:
- Meet with city departments and monitor permit review progress and acquire all required approvals and permits.
- Review plans and specifications to assure a complete scope of construction is captured and identified.
- Finalize construction budget with the general contractor.
- Review the general contractor’s qualifications & assumptions and provide feedback to the owner.
- Participate in contract negation with the general contractor.
- Attend weekly owner, architect, and general contractor project meetings.
- Attend weekly project meetings with the owner and condo sales & marketing team.
- Hire owner consultants required for testing and inspections
- Participate in the general contractor’s subcontractor scope review meetings
- Review and approve the general contractor’s subcontractor approval letters.
- Review all testing reports from the geotechnical engineer, material testing, commissioning agent and special inspectors.
- Review all requests for information and monitor response.
- Review all submittals and monitor approval.
- Prepare monthly construction update for the developer’s report.
- Coordinate Commissioning and LEED inspections and reporting
- Coordinatewith and monitor the Contractor quality of work.
- Review general contractor’s monthly requisition for payment including verification of stored materials and subcontractor lien releases.
- Review all change order requests, allowances, and owner change orders for approval.
- Review all project close-out documents with the general contractor and owner prior to contract closeout.
- Review and provide feedback to the owner and sales and marketing team on the feasibility and cost of all condominium buyer customization requests.
- Manage the condominium buyer punch list process.
- The successful candidate must have excellent written, computer and verbal communication skills and be able to direct and motivate the design and construction team.
- A bachelor’s degree and 7+ years’ experience working with either a developer, general contractor or in a construction management role.
- Project experience in the City of Boston is preferred.