Department: Development & Construction
Reports To: Vice President, Development & Construction
General Purpose of Job/Summary:
Our client creates unique opportunities to build Community. Their retail and mixed-use portfolio comprises 16.7 million square feet in 90 properties and it manages over 5 million square for others located in the Washington DC to Boston corridor. Their properties represent the full range of retail formats including neighborhood centers, power centers and enclosed regional malls. The company is developing and re-developing their properties, along with strategic new acquisitions, into unique places that are uniquely tailored to meet the desires of the local market creating place-driven local and neighborhood shopping centers, as well as, immersive mixed-use environments.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Work with internal and external partners to craft unique environments that support the retail merchandising, community vision, and mixed-use components.
- Lead the development process, coordinating all aspects of the development including financial analysis, political approvals, design, marketing and construction.
- Partner with other disciplines within the organization to coordinate and integrate leasing, operations, acquisitions, and financial reporting.
- Develop qualitative analysis, pro forma analysis, financial sensitivity analysis, and budgets for investment real estate development projects.
- Develop schedules from the initial phase through construction.
- Manage bid processes for hard and soft costs including negotiating contracts; ensuring compliance with codes and laws; and overall project management (monitoring cost, progress, schedule, etc.).
- Negotiate service provider and consultant contracts with legal counsel guidance as appropriate.
- Engage with communities and municipalities to secure entitlements.
- Provide general support for real estate transactions and special projects as needed.
- Conduct certain due diligence (architectural, engineering, and environmental) for potential acquisitions as needed.
- Coordination of designers, contractors and marketing consultants for project related work.
- Participate in a variety of aspects related to the financing, permitting and programming of real estate development projects.
- Evaluate potential new development sites for zoning, market and financial feasibility.
- Conduct detailed market surveys and perform a quantitative and qualitative analysis of competitive landscape.
- Interface on a daily basis with designers, general contractors, architects and company pre-construction staff on development and construction projects.
- Track job cost against budget and report to management on projected savings or overruns.
- Take ownership of and solve problems throughout the conceptual, design, construction and delivery process.
- Strong desire to create unique places that foster community.
- Ability to participate in corporate decisions and understand the firm’s strategic plans.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Self-motivated and independent, detailed oriented, strong work ethic, high integrity and ethical standards.
- Exceptional project management skills.
- Perform under heavy time and workload pressure.
- Exercise independent judgment and discretion.
- Be personable, likable, a listener and a team player.
- Be open to and willing to accept input and direction.
- Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in the real estate industry.
- Bachelors Degree Preferred.
- Proficiency in windows based environment.
- Clear and effective communication skills.
- Excellent financial analysis skills, with strong Excel proficiency.
- Strong presentation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multitask within a fast-paced environment.
- Strong sense of ownership.
- Creative problem solving skills.