Our client is seeking a development manager to manage project design consultants throughout the design-development process through project completion and turnover to property management. The candidate will also assist in management of the architect and other design professionals to meet all project deadlines as well as provide professional direction to the design team to clearly state and manage the financial goals of the projects.
The candidate will assist in the management of the general contractor and its construction budget; monitor construction progress; ensure the modification of construction documents with design team as necessary to achieve project design and cost objectives; anticipate and recommend approval of construction change orders; and coordinate with property management to create and facilitate a successful transition from construction to marketing and operations. Likewise, the candidate will work with Financial Analysts to provide information for proforma development.
- Assist in preparation of summary updates of projects, for review in regular Development Team meetings, including project status and schedule, objectives achieved, critical project execution dates, critical issues to be resolved and updated financial projections;
- Participate in regular meetings with development team members and prepare written notes of proceedings including decisions made and track action items, to coordinate and facilitate the execution of ongoing development projects;
- Review and ensure the maximum efficiency of all schedules for design development, construction completion and lease-up;
- Ensure timely coordination and facilitate the transition between steps in the development process (design to construction, construction to property management, construction to project closeout);
- Ensure accurate and effective communication to appropriate parties (internal and external) during all phases of the project, documenting all decisions and modifications to the project scope, timeline and cost;
- Trouble-shoot problems that may occur with a project during development or construction phases, and ensure that viable solutions are initiated and completed;
- Help to ensure all projects are built to plans and specs. Work with the GC and design consultants to ensure all parties agree as to the scope of work and that all costs are updated prior to loan closing to reflect those plans and scope of work;
- Prepare written correspondence, reports and proposals as necessary to move projects through critical impediments to their completion;
- Assist in the procurement of consultant services including proposal leveling, negotiation of contract terms, execution of contracts and consultant contract administration;
- Work with the Development personnel to review and approve invoices and prepare quarterly budget updates for each development project, including forecasts of capital requirements;
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Must be self-motivated, focused, detail-oriented, and always represent the company in a professional manner
- Must be willing and able to dedicate the long hours required during periods of heavy development activity and/ or when a project requires intense focus to push through difficult issues (which often occur in groups).
- Must be an effective and creative problem solver. This must include the ability to address short-term problems strategically, by anticipating potential future problems and maintaining the viability of long-term priorities and objectives.
- Must be able to enforce disciplined project management schedules and procedures, while fostering a cordial and professional relationship amongst all team members.
- Must be an effective communicator and team player, with an ability to develop consensus amongst team members from different disciplines and perspectives, while accomplishing the primary project and financial objectives.
- College degree required with a concentration in architecture or construction management preferred. The position requires the ability to communicate effectively, read and write English fluently, read building plans, and the ability to perform mathematical functions.
- Candidate must have 5+ years of experience in architecture or construction management field preferably managing the different aspects of the complete development process for multifamily projects.
- Must be well-versed in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook; Microsoft Project; Photoshop, AutoCad; and ideally an understanding of Autodesk Revit Architecture.