POSITION: Director, Accounting
LOCATION: New York, NY
REPORTING TO: Chief Financial Officer
Our client is a family-controlled but publicly traded national real estate investment firm involved in all phases of real estate management, development, and leasing. The company’s 67 properties are located in approximately 17 states with a concentration in the northeast, and include shopping centers, office buildings, and single tenant triple net leased properties aggregating approximately 2 million square feet.
Our client is a vertically integrated real estate platform and is involved in all phases of real estate management, development, and leasing. Among our office holdings is 10 Grand Central at 155 East 44th Street in New York City, which is also the location of our principal executive office. Additionally, we have some of the most well-located retail centers in the country including one of our largest assets, the Cross County Shopping Center in Yonkers, New York.
Overall responsibilities include the accurate and timely accounting, analysis and financial reporting associated with assigned properties in the portfolio and more specifically:
- Responsible for financial control, including accounting, reporting and production of financial statement for the firm.
- Responsible for producing annual budget and strategic business plan.
- Review analysis of detailed budget variance reports, income, expense, capital expenditures, leasing costs, NOI and cash flows.
- Oversee and manage property accountants including review and validation of accounts.
- Oversee all Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Tenant security deposits.
- Oversee and follow-up with property management regarding Account Receivable Aging and Collection.
- Management of relationships with institutional investors and responsible for related financial reports.
- Review and analyze tenant leases.
- Account reconciliation, bank reconciliations, ad hoc reporting, analysis and miscellaneous projects.
- Process property employees’ payroll, union dues and benefits.
- Prepare real estate tax, operating expense and other escalation/pass-thru billings for tenants.
- Prepare work papers for quarterly sales tax filings.
- Maintain General Ledger, process journal entries and make all adjustments to the Financial Statements.
- Manage and perform month-end close process including preparation of financial reporting packages and commentary to Managers.
- Prepare work papers and work with independent auditors in connection with annual audits.
- Ability to handle tight deadlines and attend to other job-related requests as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- 8+ years real estate industry experience.
- Previous experience reporting to institutional investors, and managing those relationships.
- Strong background in MRI accounting software.
- Proficiency with Excel and familiarity with all Microsoft Office Suite Applications.
- Aptitude for problem solving as well as ability to think independently as well as work in a team environment.
- Ability to lead a team and drive overall business strategy.
- Excellent communication skills.