The Director, Leasing will be responsible for oversight and strategic direction for our client's East Coast markets primarily focused in Cambridge and Boston MA. Our client has nearly 6mm SF across these markets. The Director will lead leasing efforts for specific assets, gather market intelligence and oversee marketing reporting deliverables, assist with evaluating various markets for growth, provide input into the acquisitions/dispositions process and drive strategy for certain asset management initiatives. This individual will focus on the strategic real estate financial performance of the East Coast portfolio and provide oversight of brokers and other third-party professionals.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Drive all leasing activities for certain assets from start to finish including identifying prospects, touring prospects, responding to RFPs, drafting letters of intent, spearheading lease negotiation efforts, managing required transaction consents, negotiating earlier tenant terminations, managing required notifications related to tenant encumbrances, etc.
- Identify and analyze various scenarios for certain assets to ensure the company is maximizing value in acquisition and leasing transactions. This includes identifying possible outcomes, providing economics assumptions, reviewing transaction models and documenting a proposed business case for the desired outcome based on financial metrics
- Interface with the Investments team, regarding new acquisitions and dispositions process (including due diligence) as requested.
- Direct leasing and marketing efforts; review market studies, determine property rental rates, drive fair market rent review process, and implement strategic leasing plans.
- Manage third party PR and communications activity, invent new ways to promote brand and activate portfolio
- Provide strategic guidance on U.K. portfolio to property management function to ensure portfolio is maintained to a high-class standard.
- Actively participate in industry forums, conferences and memberships in key civic organizations.
- Proactively manage relationships with key stakeholders in the real estate community and frequently update senior management on new developments and activity within the market.
- Establish and manage key relationships with tenants and key stakeholders in the real estate community such as consultants, contractors, brokers, other property owners/developers, and economic development agencies engaged in the industry.
- Prepare market and portfolio information for quarterly board reporting and financing activity
- Provide market tours for tenant prospects, investors, C-level executives, senior management team and lenders.
- Perform related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Maintain compliance with all company policies and procedures.
Our client is the leading provider of real estate solutions to the life science community. Our client owns and operates high-quality life science real estate comprising over 11 million square feet located in the leading innovation markets throughout the United States and United Kingdom, led by Boston-Cambridge, San Francisco, San Diego, Seattle, New York and Cambridge U.K. In addition, the firm maintains a premier development platform with over 2 million square feet of Class A properties in active construction to meet the growing demand of the life science industry.
- Master’s or Bachelor’s degree in Real Estate, Finance, Economics or Accounting or related required.
- At least 5-10 years of experience in commercial real estate, with required experience working on a larger portfolio or having worked within an institution that provides significant training.
- Must have an executive presence and be confident meeting with C-level roles within our tenant base and within our BioMed organization
- Ability to negotiate legal and business agreements including development, financial and leasing agreements.
- Experience preparing and reviewing cash flow projections and analyzing capital expenditure programs for repositioning strategies.
- Ability to analyze and translate qualitative and quantitative data into strategic deliverables, business opportunities, and presentations.
- Proven background and experience with portfolio planning, financial analysis, and location analysis.
- Highly motivated with proficient financial skills.
- Strong business acumen and work ethic.
- Requires high level negotiation, interpersonal and communication skills.
- Working experience with redevelopment and tenant improvements.
- Ability to analyze and interpret budgets, leases and related documents.
- In-depth and hands-on understanding of management systems and processes
- Prior experience managing teams and developing effective working relationships with third party project management companies, vendors, brokers, and tenants.
- Must be organized and task oriented, able to work in a fast-paced, team-orientated environment with multiple deadlines, and adapt readily to changing priorities.