Our client owns and operates a premier portfolio of assets consisting of a diversified mix of properties including luxury rental buildings, retail and commercial space, luxury condominium residences, affordable, and workforce housing located throughout the United States.
The firm is looking for a Director of Affordable Housing Compliance to ensure compliance in affordable and workforce/ income-restricted housing programs across the company’s Boston portfolio. The Director will work the guidance and supervision of Vice President, Associate General Counsel.
- Review all initial move-in files as well as ongoing recertification files to ensure compliance with federal, state and city regulatory program requirements as well as Fair Housing regulations
- Oversee the lease-up of the affordable/income restricted components of new developments, including oversight of third-party contractors.
- Oversee the leasing processes for all existing affordable units within the portfolio upon vacancy
- Monitor and manage affordable housing waitlists to minimize vacancies
- Evaluate and respond to any appeals made by rejected applicants for housing in a timely fashion
- Supervise and provide training for on-site compliance staff, which currently consists of two full-time professionals, including but not limited to initial certification and leasing efforts, recertification efforts, agency and investor reporting requirements, tenant and applicant communications, waitlist management, re-marketing, and other related tasks on an as-needed basis.
- Review and prepare monthly, quarterly and annual reports and owner certifications to various state and local agencies, as well as financing partners and other institutions.
- Coordinate with leasing and site operations staff, including the site general manager and associate general manager, to fill affordable and workforce/ income-restricted housing vacancies.
- Coordinate with fair housing counsel to ensure site teams are trained in fair housing and reasonable accommodations and assist teams in evaluating reasonable accommodation and modification requests
- Prepare site teams for scheduled file audits, examine tenant files in preparation for audits, and review responses corresponding to agency audits
- Appropriately field and direct inquiries received by the management company or the owners regarding the portfolio’s affordable housing programs
- Prepare and submit Affirmative Fair Housing Marketing Plans and Tenant Selection Plans to City and State Agencies
- Monitor ongoing legal and fair housing cases
- Update city and state mandated ads for affordable and workforce/ income-restricted housing vacancies as required
- Oversee the implementation of updated income limits and utility allowances on an annual basis
- Stay current with federal, state and local updates about to various program requirements
- Assist ownership in preparation of affordable housing development proposals
- Partner with public agencies, consultants and industry experts to strengthen the goals of the company’s affordable housing program
- Knowledge of U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), HUD Home, and Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) programs is required
- TaCCs,COS, or other widely-recognized affordable housing compliance certification required
- Experience with affordable housing recertification processes, project lease-up experience preferred, but not required
- Excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite & Yardi (or other property management software)
- Bachelor’s degree required, candidates with a JD are also encouraged to apply
- Familiarity with BFH, DHCD and other Massachusetts and Boston agencies preferred
- Detail oriented, organized, and strong analytical skills.
- Creativity and initiative to work both independently as well as within a team while able to perform in a busy, changing, multi-tasking work environment.