Our client is seeking a Director of Development for mid- to high-rise Jersey City multi-family construction projects, with 8 to 10 years of construction industry experience. Candidate will work full-time on projects in Hudson County, NJ with an office in Jersey City.
Candidate will provide on-site reporting and coordination between parties for all aspects of construction projects, including coordinating with consultants, Jersey City agencies, utility companies, and the General Contractor; observing and reporting on quality of trade contractor work; ensuring that plans and specifications are being followed; and General Contractor is proceeding on schedule and within budget.
- Ensure that General Contractor is executing and complying with the contracted scope of work.
- Quickly identify conflicts and errors between construction and design, and communicate them to the project team for resolution.
- Observe and comment on quality control regarding the work being performed.
- Track with matrices issued sketches, Bulletins, ASI's, RFI's, Submittals and Change Orders.
- Track with a master list, and ensure General Contractor has corrected, non-conforming work whether self-identified or identified by consultants.
- Coordinate on-site activities of Owner’s consultants and third-party testing agencies during the construction phase.
- Field and effectively respond to neighborhood issues as they arise. This may include occasional night-time meetings.
- Walk project on weekly basis to monitor and report all activities.
- Work with General Contractor to coordinate off-duty police for traffic control, and coordinate with Development Manager to make timely pre-payment for same.
- Attend all Contractor and project team meetings and prepare written notes of proceedings, including decisions made and action items.
- Provide job progress reports.
- Provide completion punch list and completion verification. Provide estimates of the value of incomplete items on punch list for hold-back from General Contractor.
- Review all close out documentation for completeness and request additional information from General Contractor as required.
- Work with General Contractor and Property Management team to ensure timely completion of construction and turnover to Management.
- Communicate all project activities and anticipated issues to VP of Development in a timely and thorough manner.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Substantial familiarity with large-scale commercial construction projects, especially high-rise concrete frame and curtainwall construction.
- Read and interpret all project plans, specifications, and sketches.
- Ability to estimate construction costs and time for individual tasks.
- Ability to identify early-on deficient work and suggest resolutions.
- Communicate project status via telephone, email and weekly written status reports (either in MS Word or Excel) indicating work completed and non-conforming work observed.
- Endurance and ability to visit entire job site, including use of stairs, construction lifts, and site ladders for accessing high-rise floors or other elevated or below-grade structures. Typical projects consists of 40 or more stories.
- Accuracy and thoroughness in all aspects of work.
- Consistently at work and on time.
- Interpersonal Skills - focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; maintains confidentiality; listens to others without interrupting; keeps emotions under control; remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; listens and gets clarification as needed; responds well to questions; participates in meetings.
- Writes clearly and informatively; edits work for spelling and grammar; varies writing style to meet needs; presents numerical data effectively; able to read and interpret written information.
- Prioritizes plans and work activities, using time efficiently.
- Reacts well under pressure and treats others with respect regardless of position.
- Responds to direction and follows instructions, taking responsibility for own actions.
- Degree in field such as architecture, engineering, or construction management highly desirable.
- Experience with high-rise design and construction issues.
- Ability to logically analyze and manage the project budget and schedule.
- Understanding of design and construction contracts (use of language and typical requirements).
- Experience with multi-family construction.
- Skill in use of common business software such as MS Word, Excel and Outlook. Ability to create mark-ups in BlueBeam and maintain drawing set in PlanGrid highly desirable.