Our client is one of the city’s most well-regarded ownership groups, with industry-leading expertise in new development, property, and project management, as well as leasing and asset management.
The firm is seeking a Director of Development & construction to lead all aspects of development and construction from early-stage conceptual planning through entitlements, design & permitting, construction, and lease-up.
- Provide highly competent leadership in all aspects of team and project management.
- Lead all development and construction-related initiatives throughout the portfolio.
- Participate in business planning and setting the firm’s growth strategy, evaluate new business opportunities, and serve as a senior leader in all capacities.
- Collaborate with Director of Acquisitions to perform due diligence, prepare pro-forma assumptions, establish project development budgets, and prepare cash flow projections.
- Lead project management efforts on new deals, create scope of work.
- Manage internal project managers, provide strategic direction and support.
- Lead preconstruction efforts including:
- creation of budgets and estimates
- establish overall project schedule including design, permitting, and construction
- identify, onboard, and manage the design team and contractors
- attend preconstruction meetings and advise on constructability, logistics, cost, and schedule
- identify long lead items and establish a procurement strategy
- manage the permitting process
- Oversee the design process. Manage design change orders and participate in value engineering exercises. Ensure completion of construction documents to allow timely construction start and continuity of work.
- Manage the cost estimating process with the construction manager. Ensure adherence to project budgets and schedules through completion.
- Manage consultant contract solicitation and negotiations. Manage consultant team through design and construction and lead on-site project meetings with the architect, engineer, construction manager, and tenant representatives.
- Manage entitlement process and conduct community outreach.
- Collaborate with finance team in securing project equity and construction financing.
- Handle all project related reporting requirements including business plans, project summaries, budgets, schedules, drawings, and cash flows.
- Manage all project contractual and financial obligations. Oversee preparation of monthly cost forecast reports. Oversee construction loan draw processes in collaboration with the project accountant.
- Review and negotiate change proposals from contractors and/or subcontractors.
- Collaborate with the leasing team on marketing and leasing efforts.
- Oversee turnover to operations and provide oversight through stabilization.
- Participate in the creation of new project concepts and implement the strategy in all phases of development and construction.
- 10+ years of experience in real estate development or project management.
- Strong leadership and management skills, the ability to influence and engage highly diverse project teams.
- Ability to evaluate and interpret design and construction documents, contracts, budgets, and schedules.
- Track record of successfully bringing development projects from concept to completion.
- Attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to manage large groups.
- Life Science experience a plus. A mix of ground-up and commercial capital projects and tenant improvements preferred.