Our client is seeking a Pre-Development and Acquisitions Manager based out of its flagship location in Springfield, Virginia.
Our client is the premier sports, wellness and active entertainment destination brand in the country, with a mission to maximize human potential by designing, developing and operating sports, wellness and entertainment destinations that engage, inspire and empower people to pursue their passions and be their best at play, at work and in life. The flagship development in Springfield, Virginia features a premium health club, celebrity chef-inspired restaurant, premium medi-spa, 20,000 sq. ft. active entertainment center, as well as an indoor field house with FIFA-sized field, two NHL-regulation sized ice rinks, 52-meter Olympic competition pool and much, much more. Our client allows the whole family to pursue their passions in 30+ sports.
Reporting to the Director of Development; the Pre-Development and Acquisitions Manager is primarily responsible for sourcing new development opportunities in target markets, through developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders including brokers, consultants, land sellers etc. This individual will source national land and redevelopment sites for prospective projects. This is a great opportunity for career growth as they expand their brand across the country.
- Source new development opportunities in target markets, through developing and maintaining relationships with key stakeholders including brokers, consultants, land sellers etc.
- Gathering and analyzing market information for potential new sites including sales and rent comparables, local construction pricing trends, population demographics, sports participation rates and other key factors.
- Assist in drafting and negotiating letters of intent, purchase and sale agreements, ground leases and any other documents necessary to execute site acquisition.
- Managing and evaluating all aspects of due diligence for new development opportunities, including obtaining third-party reports, performing rent and expense analyses and market comparable studies, and reviewing any due diligence materials received from the seller.
- Assisting in the preparation of real estate transaction presentations, packages, and analyses for the leadership team, investors, partners and lenders.
- Coordinating entitlement processes; including meeting with municipality officials and conducting community outreach.
- Negotiates contracts, supervises and coordinates with outside consultants (e.g. marketing, legal, architecture, civil engineering, landscape architecture, soils engineering etc.), in preparation of required public approval and permits.
- Managing the design process from inception through conceptual design and executing a successful handoff of the design to the project manager.
- Develops and manages project budget and financial proformas.
- Develops and manages entitlement schedule to ensure a timely process.
- Supporting leadership in the placement of debt financing for new development opportunities.
- Supporting transaction closings, including coordinating legal document preparation and execution, reviewing closing statements, and coordinating closing funds.
- Remaining up-to-date with current market data, trends, and industry news.
- To the extent that it is required, remaining involved with the new development projects from inception through the completion of the after action review.
- Provides regular and accurate design and financial updates to the Director of Development.
- Continually develops and provides project management best practices.
- Perform all duties in accordance with company policies, practices and procedures.
- Responsible for the management of community builder partnerships as required for assigned developments.
- Support the safety of all members, guests and employees.
- Bachelor’s degree is required from a competitive college or university.
- Master’s degree in a related field is preferred (e.g., architecture, engineering, construction management, real estate law, urban planning).
- 5-10 years of relevant work experience.
- Passion for and commitment to The St. James mission and core values.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong ability to problem solve and multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to comprehend legal contracts, partnership documents, loan documents and financial spreadsheets and to create and make presentations to Board members, Executive members, partners, lenders, and staff.
- Demonstrated ability to read and comprehend architectural, structural engineering and civil engineering plans.
- Ability and preference for working in a team-oriented setting, and interacting with required parties that provide functional expertise and insights toward proper product positioning.
- Demonstrate prior entitlement experience and a solid understanding of the design and construction process to lead initial and on-going project planning meetings.
- Strong research skills and ability to identify and compile information to support recommendations and clearly articulate findings to the leadership team and prospective capital partners.
- Experience in negotiating architectural and engineering consulting agreements, easement agreements and other related documents affecting title and survey.
- Demonstrate high proficiency in real estate modeling and underwriting, as well as a strong understanding of real estate finance and structured finance concepts.
- Employment history that demonstrates the application and usage of a development (and construction)
- Awareness of laws, ordinances, and regulations applicable to site acquisition and building construction.
- Familiarity with environmental regulations and due diligence process.
- Demonstrated high proficiency in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel to complete required reports and employment documents.
- Motivation, maturity, humility, strong work ethic, sense of humor, “roll-up-my-sleeves” attitude.
- Knowledgeable of safety training, procedures and best practices used throughout the sports and wellness industry.