Our client is a life science real estate development company that leverages cross-sector collaboration to deliver environments that foster innovation and scientific breakthroughs. This is a unique opportunity to join a fast-growing life science real estate platform in one of the top life science clusters, working on the front lines of building a new business with significant long term growth potential and delivering a world-class speculative commercial development project.
The Director of Design and Construction will have the unique opportunity to manage the firm’s first Boston development - a 250,000 square-foot ground-up lab project in the Seaport. In addition to leading numerous facets of the design and construction process on this project, the Director of Design & Construction will be part of growing a pipeline of high-quality life science focused development opportunities. Future projects are expected to include ground-up new builds and major redevelopments along with turnkey fit-outs / renovations of existing structures for clients.
- Complete projects in accordance with company approved budgets and schedules. Responsible for delivering the project on time, on budget and within pre-established quality parameters.
- Manage the coordination of architectural and engineering disciplines as well as the functions of estimating, budgeting, contracting, scheduling, bidding, negotiating, purchasing, value engineering.
- Substantially interface with architects, engineers, contractors, municipal officials, financial institutions and all other necessary for the implementation of design and construction.
- Support and direct the bidding and purchasing of major components.
- Provide input to the origination of development, construction, and design concepts during pre-development stages for future assigned projects.
- Provide input into the process of selection of all design consultants and other professionals.
- Support the preparation of, and provide oversight and reporting on, consultant, design and construction contracts to ensure the obligations are satisfied.
- Monitor project construction activities relating to scheduling, quality, costs, design and construction methodology as well as assist in the selection and recommendation of trades and purchase of major building materials/ components.
- Record and monitor control reporting for cost estimates, budgets, schedule, contractor draws, change orders, quality control, value engineering, progress reports and variance analyses.
- 10+ years of experience managing design and construction of commercial real estate, with experience on at least one life science (R&D laboratory) project.
- Strong leadership and management skills, the ability to influence and engage peers.
- Attention to detail, organizational skills, and ability to manage large groups of people
- Capacity to communicate with institutional corporations
- Strong mechanical, electrical, and plumbing (MEP) skills required.
- Bachelor’s degree in mechanical and electrical engineering is a plus
- Experience working on ground up and tenant improvement life science projects is a plus.