POSITION: Property Accountant
LOCATION: New York, NY
REPORTING TO: Director of Accounting and Chief Financial Officer
Our client is a family-controlled but publicly traded national real estate investment firm involved in all phases of real estate management, development, and leasing. The company’s 67 properties are located in approximately 17 states with a concentration in the northeast, and include shopping centers, office buildings, and single tenant triple net leased properties aggregating approximately 2 million square feet.
Our client is a vertically integrated real estate platform and is involved in all phases of real estate management, development, and leasing. Among our office holdings is 10 Grand Central at 155 East 44th Street in New York City, which is also the location of our principal executive office. Additionally, we have some of the most well-located retail centers in the country including one of our largest assets, the Cross County Shopping Center in Yonkers, New York.
Overall responsibilities include the accurate and timely accounting, analysis and financial reporting associated with assigned properties in the portfolio and more specifically:
- Property related Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable and Tenant security deposits.
- Oversee and follow-up with property management regarding Account Receivable Aging and Collection.
- Review and analyze tenant leases and enter same in MRI system.
- Account reconciliation, bank reconciliations, ad hoc reporting, analysis and miscellaneous projects.
- Compile and review analysis of detailed budget variance reports, income, expense, capital expenditures, leasing costs, NOI and cash flows.
- Process property employees’ payroll, union dues and benefits.
- Prepare real estate tax, operating expense and other escalation/pass-thru billings for tenants.
- Prepare work papers for quarterly sales tax filings.
- Maintain General Ledger, process journal entries and make all adjustments to the Financial Statements.
- Manage and perform month-end close process including preparation of financial reporting packages and commentary to Managers.
- Prepare work papers and work with independent auditors in connection with annual audits.
- Ability to handle tight deadlines and attend to other job-related requests as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- 3+ years real estate industry experience.
- Strong background in MRI accounting software.
- Proficiency with Excel and familiarity with all Microsoft Office Suite Applications.
- Aptitude for problem solving as well as ability to think independently as well as work in a team environment.
- Ability to interact with Vendors and Tenants.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Project Accounting experience a plus.