The Senior Accountant will work cross functionally with the Accounting and Operations teams to carry out a variety of accounting and operational tasks. The successful candidate will focus on accounting, financial reporting, and various analysis for a series of private real estate investment properties at a portfolio and project level. Candidates will have a strong GAAP accounting experience and possess strong quantitative skills and preferably will have worked in an institutional real estate environment.
- Create and review quarterly and annual financial statements in accordance with GAAP.
- Coordinate the annual audit and act as the primary contact for the external auditor. Communicate any issues with senior management and provide all requested materials to the audit team in a timely manner.
- Act as the primary accounting contact for booking of all acquisition and disposition transactions. Review PSA and closing statements to ensure that the firm is compliant with the terms of the deal.
- Review the investment waterfall and work with JV partner on the calculation of promote and final distributions splits.
- Review property capital calls/distributions/loan draws prepared by third party management companies.
- Delegate and review work prepared by a team of accounting associates. Act as the secondary reviewer on specific investment deals and review all work prepared by associates.
- Meet with third party vendors on potential new accounting/property management software and help implement into our current platform.
- Review of financial reports and statements on a monthly and quarterly basis; both internal & externally managed entities
- Manage the 1031 exchange
- Work with CFO to organize and ensure appropriate insurance coverage
- Assist with preparation of 1099s
- Calculate net capital and gains
- Assist in month end close process
- Prepare and post journal entries in the accounting system
- Reconcile and maintain certain balance sheet accounts
- Help with real estate gifting of asset analysis
- Ad hoc projects as needed
Our client is a privately-held real estate company known for operations and development of high-quality apartment homes, hotels, commercial properties, and luxury vacation rentals throughout New England.
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting or related field
- Real estate experience is required; CPA preferred
- QuickBooks and Yardi system knowledge are strongly preferred
- Strong knowledge of GAAP accounting; review of financials
- Ability to accurately reconcile and book property transactions; calculate gain/loss
- 1031 Exchange; solid understanding of requirements, threshold (debt, acquisition price requirements) development plan
- Understanding of tax guidelines
- Strong Excel experience
- Multi-tasker and team player
- Ability to work with a variety of tenants, customers, vendors and all members of the team
- Demonstrate the ability to work autonomously, seeking a self-starter who can take ownership of a variety of responsibilities in a proactive manner
- Strong verbal and written communication skills