Our client is a leading commercial real estate investment and development firm, having successfully acquired, developed, re-positioned and/or entitled and managed over five million square feet of real estate over the past 35 years, valued at over $3 billion.
Focused on high quality mixed use development assets in leading gateway markets, with a strong emphasis on creative place making and value add approaches to real estate, our client is among the top tier of real estate development and management firms in the New England market.
This Senior Construction Manager will lead the construction effort on an exciting and complex air rights project over the Mass Pike slated for office and multi-family residential towers.
The ideal candidate will have strong technical construction expertise, demonstrated success with large, complex projects and experience bringing projects through preconstruction and GMP. Experience with design and development are a plus.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
In the design and planning stages of a multi-phased mixed use high-rise development project in the City of Boston, review, evaluate and advise Vice President of Development and Vice President of Construction of cost impacts, constructability issues, and schedule implications.
Upon construction commencement, act as the developer’s on-site representative overseeing all aspects of construction on behalf of the Owner.
Concept / Schematic Phase:
- Provide technical construction management support to the development team.
- Provide technical expertise in materials, products, techniques and procedures.
- Review the general contractor’s project schedule for logic and accuracy.
- Review the conceptual budget from the general contractor and identify strategies to achieve development budget.
- Review due diligence reports from the owner’s consultants.
- Review progress of construction documents and budget at each schedule milestone, typically after schematic documents, 50% design documents, and permit submission documents.
- Provide feedback on constructability and identify potential schedule impacts.
- Lead value engineering exercises as required.
Permitting / Preconstruction Phase:
- Meet with city departments and monitor permit review progress and acquire all required approvals and permits.
- Review plans and specifications to assure a complete scope of construction is captured and identified.
- Finalize construction budget with the general contractor.
- Review the general contractor’s qualifications and assumptions and provide feedback to the owner.
- Participate in contract negation with the general contractor.
- Attend weekly owner, architect, and general contractor project meetings.
- Attend weekly meetings with the general manager and tenant coordinator of the existing building to coordinate tenant relocations and upcoming construction activities.
- Hire owner consultants required for testing and inspections
- Participate in the general contractor’s subcontractor scope review meetings
- Review and approve the general contractor’s subcontractor approval letters.
- Review all testing reports from the geotechnical engineer, material testing, commissioning agent and special inspectors.
- Review all requests for information and monitor response.
- Review all submittals and monitor approval.
- Prepare monthly construction update for the developer’s report.
- Create and maintain a detailed cost report and monthly forecast
- Coordinate Commissioning and LEED inspections and reporting.
- Coordinate with and monitor the Contractor quality of work.
- Review general contractor’s monthly requisition for payment including verification of stored materials and subcontractor lien releases.
- Review all change order requests, allowances, and owner change orders for approval.
- Review all project close-out documents with the general contractor and owner prior to contract closeout.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 10-15 years of experience working with either a real estate developer, general contractor or in a construction management role overseeing large complex multi-year construction projects.
- Prior experience with mixed use high-rise construction, phased occupancy, tenant relocations and multi-residential apartment and condominium construction is required.
- Well organized, effective communicator who is able to direct and motivate the design and construction team.