Our client is an international real estate advisor that acquires, develops and manages properties and places – specializing in mixed-use and office environments in the world’s leading cities. The firm’s mission is to create long-term value through a thoughtful approach to acquisition and redevelopment. Headquartered in Boston, the firm has offices globally in London, Munich, Stockholm, Sydney, Tokyo, and Washington DC, and manages over 8 million square feet of Class A office product.
Our client is looking to hire a highly motivated and collaborative Sr. Development Director to join the US Development team. Initial primary responsibilities will include feasibility studies, entitlement efforts and project management for major repositioning projects in Boston. In time, the role will expand to include acquisition analysis and project management of various sized development and capital projects throughout the North American portfolio, ensuring the high standards of quality and excellence. The position is based in Boston and may involve domestic and possibly international travel, once public health conditions allow. Candidates should demonstrate core values of excellence, respect, collaboration, continuous improvement and integrity.
The role will require candidates to execute on the following tasks for development and capital improvement projects:
- Prepare project design briefs, identifying key decision drivers, budget and project requirements; market test assumptions and recommendations through feasibility studies.
- Identify, procure and manage consultants and contractors for successful delivery of development and capital projects.
- Manage the entitlement process for development projects, coordinate with city and state agencies, public advocacy groups, and internal and external stakeholders and counsel.
- Collaborate with internal development and regional leaders to obtain approvals from senior leaders and investors on development and capital improvement proposals, followed up with periodic progress reports.
- Manage project progress to ensure projects are completed on time and budget, meeting standards of quality and excellence.
- Collaborate with other internal teams to facilitate seamless handover and subsequent management and leasing of the asset post practical completion.
Candidates should demonstrate excellent end-to-end project management capabilities and thorough knowledge of architectural/engineering design process, building systems, construction and commercial real estate development.
- Project management of new ground-up developments and large scale repositioning projects with the understanding of the real estate market demands and the firm’s asset strategy.
- Ongoing coordination and collaboration with the asset management teams on project scope, schedule, budget and efforts to minimize impact to the tenants during construction.
- Review tenant’s fitout design and attend site meetings and inspections to verify proper integration with company and property standards.
- End-to-end project management of new developments, large scale repositioning projects and various sized capital improvement projects including exterior improvements, lobby and common space renovations, turnkey tenant fitouts, resiliency and sustainability initiatives, FF&E upgrades, and other special projects.
- Responsible for engagement and procurement of professional services, construction, budgeting, design and permitting approvals, scheduling, cashflow forecasting, contract management, construction implementation and closeout.
- Identify key risks, project complexities, timelines and status for the projects undertaken; anticipate, mitigate, and resolve issues that arise during the project.
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders to meet project requirements and approvals.
- Manage the process and deliverables of design consultants throughout the design and construction process as well as facilitate communication within the design team to minimize oversights and increase efficiency.
- Utilize project controls system, Yardi CM, to maintain up-to-date budget, contracts, invoicing and cashflow forecasting. Provide project reporting as needed.
- Manage feasibility studies for various capital projects.
- Attend consultant and construction meetings as required to provide client input, monitor progress and ensure project requirements are met.
- Assist Acquisitions team with technical due diligence reports and budgeting.
- Actively manage projects to ensure schedule, budget, and standards of quality and excellence.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelors’ degree in related field with 12+ years of project management experience in commercial real estate, architecture, engineering, or construction management.
- Experience in end-to-end delivery of ground-up development projects, large tenant fit out and capital projects is required.
- Thorough knowledge of the architectural and engineering design process, building systems, zoning, permitting, commercial construction and real estate development.
- A customer-focused and holistic approach to development, considering a wide-array of stakeholder perspectives including tenants, investors, and internal teams.
- Proven leadership skills that cultivate collaboration and stimulate pro-active communication among internal and external team members in order to achieve goals and cultural differences of local markets.
- Proven ability to identify and integrate commercial project requirements (including sustainability and resiliency industry initiatives and practices) of the property during all phases of the project.
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills, and ability to manage multiple, complex projects while meeting deadlines.
- Collaborative, proactive work style and exceptional verbal, graphic and written communication skills.
- Ability to manage numerous projects and flexibility to change when needed.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, specifically PowerPoint, as well as Procore.
- Experience with or willingness to become proficient with software including Yardi CM, SharePoint, and Payscan.