POSITION: Senior Director, Leasing
LOCATION: New York, NY
REPORTING TO: CEO
Our client is a family-controlled but publicly traded national real estate investment firm involved in all phases of real estate management, development, and leasing. The company’s 67 properties are located in approximately 17 states with a concentration in the northeast, and include shopping centers, office buildings, and single tenant triple net leased properties aggregating approximately 2 million square feet.
Our client is a vertically integrated real estate platform that is involved in all phases of real estate management, development, and leasing. Among our office holdings is 10 Grand Central at 155 East 44th Street in New York City, which is also the location of our principal executive office. Additionally, we have some of the most well located retail centers in the country including one of our largest assets, the Cross County Shopping Center in Yonkers, New York.
Reporting to the CEO, the Senior Director, Leasing will be responsible for driving leasing activity for the 72 acre Cross County Shopping Center in Yonkers, NY as well as existing portfolio and its prospective development and acquisitions. The successful candidate will be a highly strategic professional with deep leasing and/or store development experience, with a keen design sensibility to maximize properties’ appeal among retailers and consumers. He/she will be responsible for leading and facilitating the retail leasing process as well as participate in the evaluation, underwriting, and budgeting of retail acquisitions and development projects.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Leasing & Asset Management.
- Develop and implement leasing, marketing and repositioning strategies for specific properties that are consistent with annual business plans and company goals.
- Identify and source new tenants that will be most accretive to the property income and value while enhancing overall tenant quality and mix.
- Interface and negotiate with both tenants and third-party retail brokers.
- Drive the due diligence process including underwriting of new tenants, in-place lease review, analysis of market and competitive position, etc.
- Manage the production and review of agreements and documents in connection with retail leasing, including: leases, estoppel certificates, letters of intent, settlement agreements, lease guarantees, lease commencement agreements, etc.
- Work closely with property/asset management team to ensure a high standard of service delivery to existing tenants.
- Generate innovative retail alternatives from a design perspective for both ground-up and redevelopment projects to maximize value creation/enhancement.
- Envision the ideal tenant mix for Cross County Shopping Center within the newly proposed Master Plan and lead development and specialty leasing.
- Maintain relationships with existing tenants and establish new relationships with prospective retailers and tenant brokers.
- Maintain and grow relationships with brokers in the client’s respective and surrounding trade areas and establish new relationships with brokers throughout the broader region.
- Evaluate value-added opportunities through upgrading tenant mix and/or repositioning commercial space mix within the portfolio.
- Develop, update and present leasing reports to senior management.
- 7-10+ years of progressive leasing and asset management experience within a respected institutional platform (either with a real estate owner/developer/operator or within a corporate real estate function) with an emphasis on retail leasing.
- Deep design & construction experience with retail assets.
- Thorough understanding of the NYC Metro retail market and participants.
- Demonstrated skill in the negotiation and closing of complex commercial retail lease transactions.
- Broad and deep pre-existing relationships with, and an impeccable reputation among, the community of retail tenants and brokers.
- Experience with redevelopment and ground-up retail development projects.
- Sound judgment with ability to develop and support opinions on various underwriting assumptions (with emphasis on the capital costs of renovation programs) and appropriate pricing/return parameters.
- Ability to clearly articulate and support a cogent investment thesis.
- Active member of ICSC, and other relevant industry associations.
- Exceptional communication skills – both verbal and written with strong financial acumen.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Economics, Business, or Real Estate from a top tier university.