REPORTING TO: Head of Capital Markets
Firm & Position Overview:
Our client is an international real estate private equity investment manager that is vertically integrated including investment/fund management, asset management, development management, property management and operations. Our client offers real estate exposure to institutional investors through commingled funds, separate accounts and programmatic joint ventures / platform level investments. The firm raises equity globally and the capital base includes some of the world’s most highly regarded private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds, pension funds, insurance companies and other institutions. Our client is active primarily in the “living” sector which encompasses residential real estate in all its forms – mainly multifamily and student, as well as serviced residential, condos, hostels, hotels, residential land etc.
While their European business is long established, the Americas business is more recent and in a rapid growth phase. This represents an exciting opportunity to take a key role early in that growth and help drive it over the coming years. The firm has recently had its first closing on a US multifamily fund and made its first investment in workforce housing development, and has a number of direct investments in process in the US, and Latin America.
The capital markets group is responsible for all aspects of the firm’s interactions with institutional investors, primarily equity capital raising, structuring and implementing new business as well as ongoing investor relations. The capital markets group also provides an internal capital advisory function, working with the investment teams to formulate strategy for capitalizing deals or programs. This is considering capital markets trends and specific investor / investor type appetites, limitations, capabilities and other factors in order to ensure we have the most competitive and effective equity backers.
The role will have two primary focus areas:
- Capital raising in North and South America for our client’s product globally:
- Researching and contacting new institutional investors in the Americas. Subsequently introducing the firm and arranging for initial meetings or conference calls. Visit alone, or accompany the Head of Americas, Head of Capital Markets or fund managers on investor visits / calls to develop new relationships or pitch specific investment offerings. This will involve increasing amounts of travel as the role develops, mainly within continental US/Canada and LatAm.
- Maintaining day to day contact with existing institutional investors within the Americas, responding to their queries, working with the IR team on writing and issuing client communications.
- Host investor visits and co-ordinate events.
- Attend conferences and industry events, representing the firm.
- Providing market feedback to the investment and portfolio management teams.
- Managing relationships with other capital raising teams within the business.
- The individual should be in a position to conduct investor roadshows and presentations unaccompanied, lead the capital raising process from start to finish for investors within their coverage and be the primary account manager for these investors.
- Product Specialist for Americas investment offerings and central CMG work supporting all global capital raising, with the support of an Associate in this function and also conducting the work itself.
- CMG is a global team where leadership of specific functions or special projects can sit in any geography.
- This individual however would take the lead within CMG on all Americas investment offerings being the team member embedded within the US investment team. They will become the expert on all Americas product and structures within the group.
- Providing support and project management expertise to the launch of new products including contributing to strategy and structuring, with specific lead on Americas product.
- Producing written materials including pitchbooks, teasers and other marketing materials.
- Responding to and producing RFPs, RFIs and other industry questionnaires.
- Leading the process of answering investor Due Diligence requests, including bespoke information, track record production and other deliverables.
- Disseminating market information internally
- Developing and maintaining the prospective investor lists in relation to specific products. Contributing to the capital plan for each raise with strategic advice based upon broad industry and investor knowledge.
- Prior investor relationships or the ability to grow them.
- Investor facing experience and a professional demeanor to represent our client externally, with the highest standards of ethics and courtesy.
- Financial and investment acumen, specifically, real estate sector experience & knowledge.
- Structuring and legal process experience related to private equity JV and fund investments.
- Management potential to lead a regional capital raising team.
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong attention to detail and self-imposed high-quality standards of written output.
- Persistence in all things – finding a route to the equity & investor decision makers, closing out project items.
- Established investor network throughout North America preferred.
- The ability to think strategically about capital raising efforts using retained knowledge of market participants, trends, wider financial, political and economic factors.
- The ability to read broadly, stay up-to-date on industry news and apply that knowledge intelligently, recalling connections, participations, individuals and historical interactions.
- Project management skills, particularly efficiency and organizational skills.
- Strong numeracy skills with the ability to understand and prepare performance analysis.
- Ability to cope with multiple parallel priorities and a deadline driven environment.
- Ability to structure arguments and to articulate them well in writing, particularly identifying and expressing key attributes and benefits in a concise manner.
- Excellent communication skills (both orally and written) – excellent English language skills, with other languages (particularly Spanish) as an advantage.
- Confidence and networking ability: will need to gather and coordinate information and relationships both internally and externally.