Reporting to the CIO, the Vice President, Investments will develop and lead the execution of the business plan for the company’s largest and newest joint venture, which is a multi-state portfolio of over 50 assets currently valued at over $1.8 billion. He/she will be the primary day to day point of contact with the investment partner, a large, New York based private equity firm. He/she will participate in creating and implementing the strategic goals for the portfolio and each asset that will achieve the company’s investment objectives, including implementing a portfolio wide value-add capex plan, exploring redevelopment and expansion opportunities, pursuing expense savings and revenue management initiatives, among other initiatives to maximize potential across the portfolio. The Vice President, Investments will achieve these goals by working closely with in-house professionals in operations, investments, marketing and sales, development, construction and finance as well as 3rd party vendors. On-going responsibilities will include developing portfolio and individual property business plans and budgets, overseeing all reporting and accounting requirements, leading on-going portfolio construction and capital allocation planning with various in-house disciplines to evaluate value add opportunities, refinancing potential, and disposition and acquisition opportunities.
- Drive asset management of $1.8bn+ senior housing portfolio from guiding big picture goals to executing asset level business plans
- Maintain primary day-to-day contact with investment partner on behalf of Company
- Oversee execution of annual business plans for each asset including property strategy, transaction activity, capital expenditures, risk management and sales and marketing objectives
- Drive performance at portfolio and asset level through implementation of revenue enhancement and expense savings initiatives
- Design portfolio construction and capital allocation with in-house investments team and investment partner in evaluating value-add opportunities, refinancing potential, and acquisitions / dispositions.
- Perform analyses to evaluate capital expenditure proposals and impact on project performance and cashflow
- Work with Finance team to maintain comprehensive portfolio analysis to track performance and projections, cash flows, capital projects, and distributions
- Collaborate with Operations team on property budgets, community operations, risk management and customer relations
- Coordinate with the Risk Management Department on insurance renewals and other insurance related matters, litigation claims and other legal matters and provide timely reporting and follow-up to investment partner on such matters
- Communicate findings and strategic implications to executive leadership
Our client is a privately held real estate investment and development firm that is the largest operator of senior housing in New England. The company, located in Waltham, MA, owns and operates communities in six New England states as well as New York and Pennsylvania. The company has plans for continued expansion through both new project development and strategic acquisitions. Today, the company’s total portfolio is valued at $2.5 billion in the aggregate and is held in various joint venture partnerships with institutional investment firms. In addition, the company has a development pipeline of over $500 million in project value that will expand the current geographic footprint and is focused towards urban, semi-urban and mixed-use developments.
Requirements, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree; Advanced Degree in Finance or MBA a plus
- 10+ years’ experience in real estate industry with focus in asset management or finance; experience in senior housing preferred
- Strong real estate financial analysis skill set with high-level proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- Working knowledge of real estate accounting
- Sharp, confident multi-tasker who is flexible, proactive, and adapts quickly in a team-oriented work environment
- High degree of integrity and discretion with regard to confidential information and data
- Highly organized with ability to prioritize tasks efficiently, maintain meticulous attention to detail, and manage multiple projects/relationships
- Goal oriented work ethic with a pragmatic approach to problem solving and follow-through
- Excellent interpersonal skills; strong and effective communication skills for interfacing with community management, finance/accounting, and investor relations personnel as well as senior management