Our client is seeking a sophisticated and entrepreneurial self-storage/industrial development professional for the position of Vice President of Development & Construction to lead and oversee upcoming national projects.
This position will be responsible for the operations of the firm’s national development pipeline/team, creating and driving processes and protocols to ensure adherence to established development procedures as it relates to cash flow forecasting, project milestones, and proposals. The ideal candidate must be a highly motivated self-starter who is intellectually curious, enjoys working in a fast-paced environment and adapts easily to rapid change. The Vice President of Development & Construction is responsible for management of the entitlement process, leading design teams/consultants, and overseeing projects from concept to opening. Additionally, the Vice President will establish a close working relationship with the firm’s finance, legal, marketing, and asset management teams to ensure a holistic and aligned view of development priorities, delivery of projects, and financials.
Development responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Oversee projects from conceptual design through occupancy.
- Work with construction management team to ensure projects deliver on time and within budget.
- Lead design and consultant teams on multiple development projects, from concept to construction permit.
- Work closely with Management and Acquisitions to identify new sites and confirm viability for a self-storage facility.
- Manage soft cost and hard cost budgets through development and construction to meet project level goals.
- Coordinate with Acquisitions and Finance on project funding and closings.
- Hire, oversee and collaborate with design consultants, engineers, legal team for each project.
- Create and manage project schedules from concept design through start of construction.
- Coordinate with local government, designers, and consultants to manage the permitting and bonding process.
- Represent firm at meetings with local jurisdictions, partners, and industry events.
- Oversee budgets and schedules for projects during construction.
- Produce and deliver regular reports to management team, investors, and key stakeholders.
Construction responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and maintain familiarity with the construction contract and the project plans and specifications.
- Manage the architectural and engineering services budget related to the trade work, including all invoice review and approval procedures and changes to service contracts.
- Collaborate with project team in preparation of Change Order Log and Anticipated Cost Report on a monthly basis.
- Manage design team consultants with respect to modifications to plans and specifications for change orders.
- Develop and manage change order procedures for Contractor, and ownership.
- Review Contractor and Subcontractor pricing of change orders.
- Manage Contractor and Subcontractor with respect to submittals and shop drawings.
- Monitor and review Contractor’s work as it relates to budget and schedule.
- Assist in preparing regular construction updates for ownership, as directed by other project management team members.
- Prepare and monitor construction budget updates, RFI reports, submittal reports, and change order reports.
- Participate in management of Contractor’s monthly applications for payment process.
- Assist with development and management of the Contractor’s punch listing activities.
- Control project documentation and historical data regarding construction.
Our client is a high-growth Miami based urban infill and suburban self-storage and industrial development platform. This platform is a self-storage development and management company rapidly growing. To date, their strategy has been to develop urban infill self-storage facilities in high value locations nationwide. This platform currently has 2 million square feet in self-storage facilities in various stages of development and lease up. With active markets in South Florida, D.C., New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and California the partners have developed over 60 storage facilities over the last 25 years, making our client one of the leading developers of self-storage in the U.S.
- A minimum of eight years of development and project management experience required in commercial real estate, ideally self-storage and/or industrial.
- A minimum of five years of experience in scheduling, ordering, field supervision, quality control, and production of all phases of commercial real estate construction.
- Proven success in negotiating and overseeing GC and third-party subcontractors while navigating through the unique obstacles inherent in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic and Southeast markets.
- A history of leadership roles showing the ability to manage multiple, large-scale building projects or land portfolios, preferably in self-storage and/or industrial development in multiple markets.
- A thorough knowledge of all trades.
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Real Estate Development or related field of study (Master’s degree is a plus).
- Knowledge of the entitlement processes, title, survey, and environmental review.
- Success leading teams of construction professionals. Encourages both external and internal teamwork and collaboration.
- Detail-oriented, aggressive, forward-thinking professional in construction management and real estate development.