The complex is a joint-venture, 6 million square foot, 16 building re-development located in Brooklyn, New York and the largest adaptive reuse project in the United States. The complex is undergoing an ambitious multi-phase repositioning to transform the historic buildings into a modern mixed-use office, industrial, and destination retail campus.
The complex is home to the Brooklyn Nets franchise headquarters and the team’s state of the art practice facility, Whole Foods first “dark-store” last-mile facility, Union Square Hospitality Group and NYU Langone. Throughout its ground floors, the complex features an array of highly-curated food and spirits purveyors and stylish home furnishing retailers including Design Within Reach, Restoration Hardware and ABC Carpet. The combination of scale and wide-range of uses make this complex uniquely positioned in a dynamic market.
The Vice President of Property Management is responsible for the management of commercial property/properties, or one or more component of a larger, complex property. The successful Vice President of Property Management develops and sustains a reputation for openness and timely communication and is seen by others as a positive force for advancing the interests of the property owner.
- Partner with the Director of Property Management and Asset Management to implement and uphold the vision for the property.
- Motivate team members and contractors by continually reinforcing the vision and business goals for the property.
- Assist the Director of Property Management with closely observing and continually appraising employee performance and conduct. Establish metrics, monitor progress, and provide feedback on team and individual goals.
- Maintain discipline by insisting on adherence to policies, effective time management, quality assurance, and best practices for getting things done.
- Manage resources: contain expenses, allocate workload, schedule and prioritize work.
- Contracts/Contractors/Vendors – Negotiate appropriate service contracts; schedule and monitor daily activities and performance of contractors to ensure strict compliance with the duties specified in the contract; ensure contractors perform to the highest standards including use of standard, approved service contracts with appropriate termination rights and appropriate bidding process.
- Prepare the budget with meticulous attention. Take measures to prevent avoidable variances.
- Ensure the monthly variance explanations are completed on time.
- Review financial reports, forecast expenses, and alert Asset Management to any significant budget variances or trends.
- Assist, as needed, to ensure proper insurance is in place for the property, tenants, contractors and vendors and administer as appropriate.
- Ensure tenant adherence to lease obligations. See to the timeliness of communications such as tenant advisories, notice of upcoming repairs and construction projects.
- Keep track of feedback from tenants. Attain good ratings in tenant satisfaction surveys and follow up imperfections with responsive action plans.
- Operate the property in a “first-class manner”. See to it that service to tenants is prompt and responsive; and that complaints are effectively resolved.
- Maintain outstanding property appearance. Complete regular tours of the Property to ensure proper maintenance of the facility, efficient and effective performance of responsibilities by staff, contractors and vendors.
- Oversee work and implement controls to ensure effective contractor performance, safety, and compliance with contract terms and property rules.
- Project needs for capital improvements. Monitor and manage capital expenses. Solicit and analyze proposals for capital projects as directed by supervisor, Asset Management, and published policy.
- Make certain comprehensive plans are in place to instruct tenants and the property management team on how to prepare for and respond to emergencies of all types. Periodically check to see that emergency action plans are current.
- Minimize the risk of exposure to liability by enforcing compliance with guidelines, regulations, and policies. Identify and deal with safety hazards.
- Work with the Marketing and Leasing team members on tenant services and tenant retention.
- Work with the Marketing team to coordinate marketing support programs, including holidays.
- Ensure sales support programs are in place for retail and entertainment tenants. Monitor and strategize to achieve sales performance goals and reporting as required by published policy.
- Leasing – Assist Leasing department in the leasing efforts in showing space, reviewing Tenant’s base building needs to determine if existing systems are sufficient. Reporting Tenant sales and conditions that might affect new and/or existing deals.
- Fulfill other job-related duties as assigned
Education and Experience:
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in business, finance, or other relevant field of study.
- Five or more years of progressively responsible related experience in a commercial property, tenant management setting or
- Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Strong understanding of financial objectives including preparing annual operating and capital budgets, collecting rents, paying bills, forecasting, analyzing variances and initiating corrective action.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability as a leader and manager.
- In-depth knowledge of property operations, risk management, fiduciary duty, life safety, financial management, lease administration, community and government relations, service contracts, and tenant construction.