Interested and Qualified candidates please submit a resume to
Sierra Olney | Sierra@kelleraugusta.com | 401-487-4898
Committed to excellence in both investment performance and operations, the firm was founded over 45 years ago and has earned a reputation for integrity, creativity, and excellence, making it one of the premier real estate investment, development, and management firms in the Eastern United States. Headquartered in Boston and with offices in New York and Pittsburgh, the company has a team of 100+ dedicated professionals who have invested more than $9 billion in gross asset value through real estate equity, debt, and fixed-income securities. A unique combination of capital markets, development and management expertise allows this team to nimbly tackle complex opportunities. Directly, and with its valued partners, our client has owned and managed approximately 28 million square feet of commercial space and 11,000 residential units. The firm invests in life science, multifamily, industrial, storage, office, hospitality, and retail among other property types. Our client believes their most valuable asset is their people. They strive for excellence in all their pursuits and take pride in maintaining a collaborative and career enhancing experience for their employees.
The Assistant Portfolio Controller should be an experienced accounting professional who has excellent organizational skills and can manage all aspects of accounting and reporting needs for operations areas such as asset management and fund accounting.
Specific responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Review all monthly financial statements, including variance analysis, cash flow statements, balance sheet, reserves and capital expenditures for internally managed and third-party managed properties and entities. Ensure any edits are incorporated timely.
• Distribute reports timely to internal departments and external partners. Maintain internal tracker to ensure all properties and entities are reviewed.
• Review lease agreements and joint venture agreements for applicable accounting related items.
• Coordinate financial audits for any properties with specific requirements with the Portfolio Controller and JV partner when necessary.
• Manage 2 - 4 Portfolio Accountants/Senior Portfolio Accountants including hiring, coaching, training and performance evaluations. When applicable, delegate appropriate tasks to accounting staff to ensure their development.
• Oversee annual property budget and reforecasts processes along with other Assistant Controllers, Property Management, and Asset Management to ensure budgets are prepared and finalized timely.
• Oversee with other Assistant Controllers the preparation and review of year-end tenant reconciliations of operating expenses, taxes, and utilities. Ensure all letters are distributed prior to March 31st of the following year.
• Maintain internal control systems to prevent inaccuracies in financial statements. Identify areas of weakness to the Portfolio Controller.
• Quarterly prepare property-level trial balances for REIT testing and for tax estimates, follow up on additional questions with accountants to respond timely to meet quarterly deadlines.
• Preparation of quarterly cash distribution recommendations for long-term hold assets to investors, ensuring compliance with partnership agreements, and coordination of information with Asset Management team.
• Monthly monitor cash at the fund level operating properties to ensure distributions are made timely and excess cash is not sitting idle.
• Work closely with Portfolio Controller and Acquisitions Team on preparing opening journal entries for acquisitions of properties managed by company. For properties managed by third parties or JV’s, request copies of opening entries to ensure accuracy with company’s accounting policies.
• Work closely with Portfolio Controller and Asset Management Team on all dispositions including review of prorations and settlement statements, prepare sale entries and gain/loss calculations.
• Ensure proper documentation for acquisitions and dispositions is obtained and provided to auditors and tax preparers in a timely manner.
• Review tax compliance workbooks for 3rd party tax preparers. Track dates packages are provided to preparers. Review any tax adjustments provided by preparers, ensure the team records the entries.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or related field.
• 8+ years of commercial real estate accounting experience including 3+ years of public accounting and 2+ years of supervisory experience.
• Ability to communicate clearly in both written and verbal correspondence.
• Highly analytical; ability to problem solve independently and manage time and resources effectively.
• Well organized, accurate, thorough, and able to consistently meet deadlines with high quality work products.
• Ability to professionally interact with onsite staff, senior management, and third-party clients.
• High proficiency in Excel, Yardi, MRI, and knowledge of other accounting software, a plus