Firm & Position Overview:
Our client was established in 2019 as a national property services firm servicing several third-party institutional clients. Our client’s firm provides property management, construction management, financial reporting and accounting, asset management, and corporate advisory services. Our client’s firm’s management portfolio consists of over 9 million square feet nationally.
The Chief Accounting Officer will be responsible for overseeing all accounting and financial reporting activities. The CAO will assume direct responsibility for the quality, accuracy, and timeliness of financial information treasury management provided to internal and external parties. This hire will be a key member of the senior management team and will play an integral role in planning and implementing the strategic growth of the company. Additionally, the CAO will lead the effort to ensure the proper systems, controls, infrastructure, and team members are in place to support the growth of the organization.
• This individual will be responsible for the day-to-day strategic management and direction of the Accounting Team. Duties include but are not limited to:
• Manage hiring, retainment, and training of all accounting staff.
• Implement standard operating procedures, policies, and protocols necessary to meet client deadlines and expectations.
• Manage all monthly, quarterly, and yearly reporting processes; ensuring that the SM accounting team is operating in the most efficient manner possible
• Take a proactive approach to anticipating and solving issues and problems
• Serve as the main point of contact for all financial related client communication. Ensure that clients are getting everything they need from SM and that SM is going above and beyond to ensure client satisfaction.
• Assist the Managing Partner in the day-to-day management of all operations
• Handle SM corporate accounting functions with a focus on profitability
• The CAO should be well versed in financial application systems (preferably YARDI & MRI), as well as spreadsheet, database and modeling applications including Yardi accounting software.
• Strong project management skills, results-driven, adaptable with ability to manage multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
• Ability to think big picture but must also have sufficient property-level accounting experience.
• Experience with a wide range of asset classes, including industrial assets preferred.
• Strategic thinker with a keen understanding of value creation.
• Creative and innovative problem-solver.
• This person must be a “quick learner” and respond swiftly and immediately to matters affecting the business and that are critical to management.
• This person must have excellent communication skills both written and oral, and able to interface effectively both internally and externally.
• CPA designation, preferred.
• Early public accounting experience, combined with more recent experience within an operator, institutional capital, or property management firm is strongly preferred.
The ideal individual will have at least 10 years of experience and combine strong managerial, accounting and reporting skills, with a thorough understanding of commercial real estate. Ideally this person will have started their accounting career in public accounting, before gaining experience on the private side. The CAO must be a strong leader and should be comfortable in a professional yet entrepreneurial and fast-paced environment. The CAO will act as a trusted advisor to the executive team, and therefore must be comfortable working independently as a hands-on, individual contributor.