Founded in 1982, our client is a multi-generational, privately owned and operated commercial real estate investment firm based in Boston. Our client’s executive team has an average of 26 years of experience investing and developing commercial real estate. Their multi-disciplined approach pairs local market knowledge and relationships with institutional transaction and operational experience.
The firm’s operational philosophy is to opportunistically acquire, develop, redevelop, and operate well-located life science, industrial/flex, office, and multifamily assets within the urban, urban-infill, and suburban markets throughout the Greater Boston area.
The Property Manager (PM) supports and assists the Chief Operating Officer in the management of the One Newton Place and Centerpoint assets. The PM is involved in various aspects of day-to-day operations, including coordination and supervision of regular maintenance and repairs, landscaping, snow removal, etc. as well as property improvement projects. The PM acts as the “eyes & ears” of the company in the field and is expected to be observant and thorough when completing regular site visits/inspections or supervising vendor work at all properties. The PM shall be responsible for assisting in the planning, pricing, coordination and oversite of property improvement projects such as capital replacements, roofing & paving projects, emergency repairs, insurance claim management, tenant buildouts, etc.
Scope of Responsibility and Authority:
The PM is expected to work independently and execute company initiatives in performing the role. To this end, the PM is charged with supporting the Chief Operating Officers efforts in the day-to-day implementation of policies, procedures and programs that will assure well-managed, well-maintained properties, placing maximum emphasis on positive responses to the concerns and needs of the tenants, environmental health and safety, and quality programs in coordination and conjunction with the Owner’s goals and objectives. At the direction of the Chief Operating Officer, the PM must provide “in charge” responsibilities for the properties. These responsibilities include responding to tenant requests, property emergencies and being on-call 24 hours to manage and delegate to maintenance vendors and contractors.
- Establishing protocols and ensure timely execution of preventative and routine maintenance; assist with the implementation and utilization of Building Engines.
- Update, negotiate, track, and oversee the completion of recurring maintenance and annual contract work (snow removal, landscaping, parking lot cleaning, sprinkler testing, fire alarm testing, power washing, pest control, etc.). Source new maintenance and repair vendors as needed.
- Track and document maintenance and repairs as necessary to ensure work is being completed at or above company standards and at appropriate/ market rates.
- Contact and coordinate vendors when maintenance or repairs are required.
- Conduct periodic site visits/inspections of the properties to ensure proper upkeep of the properties. Items requiring attention should be identified, documented and a plan for addressing such items presented to the Chief Operating Officer.
- Assist in the preparation of detailed scopes of work to obtain estimates/bids for major repair work and capital improvement projects at all properties.
- Assist in the coordination, execution, and supervision of property improvement projects.
- Assist with administering new tenant occupancy, including coordinating, supervising, and documenting tenant move-outs and work required to be completed by owner prior to new tenant's occupancy.
- Ensure 24-hour emergency coverage for all properties at all times.
- Properly maintain and keep current Property Operations Manuals and Preventative Maintenance schedule within Building Engines; both should be updated as needed to ensure all information is relevant and accurate.
- In conjunction with the Chief Operating Officer, prepare memos, emails and other administrative forms related to tenant and vendor communications.
- Follow-up with vendors in a timely and professional manner via phone and/or email (written) communication.
- Assist with the investigation of cost reduction opportunities.
- Other property management related tasks as assigned by the Chief Operating Officer.
The following attributes and skills are required for job success:
- Ability to identify and solve problems related to the physical assets.
- Evaluate each property with a detailed eye and keen understanding of all maintenance aspects
- Exceptional communication and organizational skills
- Detail oriented and accurate, especially with building construction and site development knowledge
- Vendor management.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Self-motivated and self-directed
- Exemplary time management skills
- Ability to work with staff in solving problems and take direction and function as part of a team.
- Strong working knowledge of construction plans and specifications especially those related to roofing and parking lot systems as well as basic building construction methods.
- Experience assembling annual operating budgets with responsibility for regular reporting, variance explanations, and forecasting
- Effectively prioritize and multi-task.
- Excellent people skills.
- Strong working knowledge of all Microsoft Office programs (Word, Outlook, Excel) and Adobe.
- Strong working knowledge of general office equipment (copiers, fax machines, scanners).
- Degree from a College, University or Trade school with 3+ years of industry experience.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing with peers, tenants, vendors, and other professionals.
- Dependable & flexible as well as possessing the ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Proactive, initiate follow-through.