Our client is focused on acquisition, development, construction, and management of residential, commercial, and retail properties throughout New York City and Washington DC. Their portfolio includes a collection of Class A, luxury residential buildings, modern office spaces and highly visible retail locations totaling over 8 million square feet. They continue to build on a tradition of visionary planning, intensive asset management and long-term value creation through acquisition, repositioning and development of transformational residential and commercial real estate projects.
As a Tenant Improvement Project Manager, the ideal candidate will be responsible for coordinating and overseeing a wide range of projects, from "build-to-suits" and "spec suite pre-builds" to public corridor/restroom renovations and various capital improvements in coordination with tenant improvements. In addition, the candidate will play a key role in budgeting, obtaining proposals, and contributing to the team's budgeting exercises. The role will also involve reviewing architectural plans, coordinating construction projects, and resolving compliance issues, such as outstanding building permits and mechanical liens.
Duties / Responsibilities:
Project Management and Coordination:
- Project Types: Manage diverse project types, including build-to-suits, spec suite prebuilds, public corridors/restrooms, and capital improvements, ranging from 2,000 to 13,000 square feet.
- Tenant Improvement Coordination: Collaborate with tenants to understand their improvement needs and objectives.
- Budgeting and Estimation: Develop project budgets, track expenses, and provide ballpark and contractor estimates to support leasing, marketing, and tenant retention efforts.
- Team Budgeting: Contribute to team budgeting exercises by obtaining proposals and creating budgets for projects. Participate in quarterly variance exercises and annual budgeting to assess project performance and financial alignment.
- Architectural Plans: Review architectural plans, tenant buildouts, and capital improvements in collaboration with the building engineering department. Provide input and recommendations for Senior Director approval or changes to tenant plans.
- Drawing Review: Interpret and review structural, mechanical, and electrical drawings and specifications to ensure compliance with standards and regulations.
- Contract Management: Coordinate and supervise construction projects in accordance with lease agreements and adherence to property codes and building regulations. Ensure proper payment of construction contracts and execution of lien waivers.
- Building Permits: Work in coordination with the Commercial Dept. Management and Engineering teams to close out any outstanding building permits. Communicate open contractor work permits to vendors and monitor to ensure timely close-out. Coordinate DOB inspections with building staff.
- Mechanical Liens: Assist the Director or Assistant Director with the disposal of any mechanical liens placed on the properties.
- Bachelor's degree in Construction Management, Engineering, or a related field.
- Proven experience in project management in commercial real estate.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification preferred.
- Strong budgeting and cost estimation skills.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving, and communication skills.
- Proficiency in project management software and tools.
- Detail-oriented and results-driven.
- Ability to work independently.