Our client is a Boston based mixed-use developer and property owner with a history of transformative projects in the Boston area. The firm is seeking to employ a Construction Manager (a “CM”) as part of a team of professionals focused upon construction of a new Class A+, nine-story office and retail building with a 150 vehicle below grade garage on a site at the corner of Arlington and Boylston Streets in Boston, MA.(the “Project”).
The CM will quickly integrate into the team overseeing ground up construction of the Project. Core and shell commenced in April 2022 and is scheduled for completion in early 2025 with tenant fit-up extending through 2026. The 220,000 rsf office component has been pre-leased to a single tenant and all Project financing is in place.
The CM role requires excellent organizational, construction management, contract administration and project delivery skills. The candidate must possess the ability to work with a multi-disciplinary team on a technically complex project, as well as the ability to develop collaborative relationships with project team members and other stakeholders.
Eventually, this CM will also collaborate with and support the development team from the early stages of other projects currently in various stages of development and following the completion of the Project assume a similar CM role once these projects progress to construction. These projects range in size from mixed-use mid-rise developments to significant tenant improvement projects, as well as existing building modifications.
The CM will also collaborate with and work with other departments within the firm’s vertically integrated team including Development, Property Management, Leasing, and Finance/Accounting on various aspects of each construction project throughout each building’s lifecycle.
Roles & Responsibilities
- Support day-to-day preconstruction, construction, tenant move-in and closeout activities on the Project.
- Assist the Project team with analytical, quantitative, and detail-oriented reviews of estimates, trade bids, project schedules, change proposals, and financial metrics of each project.
- Provide detailed reviews and oversight of the monthly pay requisition and bill approval process.
- Assist in managing the submittal process; track progress and performance of response times.
- Assist in managing the RFI process, working with the contractor and design teams to assure clear questions are answered timely. Track the RFI log for performance.
- Assist in change request review process and manage project cost controls to ensure the project is within the approved budget.
- Assist in the on-site management of the Project to ensure adherence to standards of quality and attention to detail, as well as specific requirements associated with applicable permits and approvals.
- Manage the quality control team during construction, coordinating all inspections, reporting, and resolution of non-conforming work.
- Assist in the design and development of plans to meet company and tenant requirements including lease and plan reviews.
- Work with the leasing team and potential tenants developing lease exhibits and tenant lease requirements, and subsequently administer lease compliance.
- Assist the development team on various aspects of the projects from permitting to construction.
- Manage the design and tenant teams through the punch list process.
- Assist in construction closeout and turnover to property management
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management with a minimum of five years of experience required. Relevant experience on urban mixed-use projects is desirable.
- Demonstrated experience with ground up construction of commercial office buildings and associated tenant fit out work is required.
- Detail oriented with the ability to read, interpret, and make recommendations on plans for complex projects.
- Prior experience in collaborating with owner/developer stakeholders.
- A team-oriented professional with creativity, initiative, and a breadth of construction experience.
- Communicating effectively internally and externally is a key priority.
- An individual who is self-started, organized and has a sense of urgency.
- Flexible, with the ability to work as a team player and relate well to colleagues at all levels of the organization. Able to change direction and priorities quickly.
- A “roll up your sleeves,” “can-do” attitude, strong people skills and a strong work ethic.
- The ability to juggle multiple tasks and maintain composure in a fast-paced work environment.
- Results-oriented attention to setting goals and able to complete tasks timely.
- Effective verbal, written and presentation skills.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills with Excel, MS Project, and cost control software platforms.