Interested and qualified candidates please submit a resume to Sierra Olney |email@example.com| or 401-487-4898
Boston, MA; Dallas, TX; or San Francisco, CA
Our client is a real estate investment management company known for its vertically integrated platform and expertise in the multifamily sector. This organization is a people-focused investment manager with national experience in U.S. residential real estate. With over 50 years of experience, they manage approximately $20 billion in real estate assets on behalf of their global institutional clients and have grown at a ~30% CAGR over the past five years. Our client aspires to improve lives through expert capital stewardship and exceptional living experiences across the residential investment sector. Their reputation for innovation and prudence attracts both residents in the U.S. along with investors from around the globe.
The Head of Portfolio Management will lead a team responsible for investment performance across the firm’s equity investment strategies which make up over $10 billion of gross asset value. This will require close collaboration with the portfolio managers, asset managers and other functional areas to achieve outstanding investment results that exceed industry benchmarks. The portfolio management team collaborates with all facets of the organization including the investment team to source and select acquisitions, the property management team to define and execute asset business plans, the research group to evaluate and select markets, the reporting and accounting teams to provide best-in-class client communication and tools to enable data-driven investment decisions, and the legal team to negotiate contracts and structure investment vehicles. In addition, the Head of Portfolio Management will represent the firm externally and play a key role working with the Capital Markets team to establish new client relationships and retain and grow existing relationships. The Head of Portfolio Management will be a key leader within the organization adept at mentoring and growing employees and providing them the tools and guidance to succeed. This individual will serve as a member of the firm’s Investment Committee, Valuation Committee, and Leadership Team.
The Head of Portfolio Management will help to oversee the diversification and future growth of the platform. This individual must be a strategic and accomplished fiduciary investor with exposure to institutional capital strategies. The successful candidate will collaborate with executive leadership to lead and expand the platform and will assist in the leadership of various strategic investments, capital raises, and development efforts.
• Provide guidance to investments team to direct sourcing focus and evaluate acquisition opportunities across equity strategies;
• Deliver portfolio updates and present investment opportunities to key clients and prospects. Maintain and grow investor relationships;
• Navigate major portfolio and asset management decisions including acquisitions, dispositions, refinancings, budget and business plan approvals, and capital expenditures;
• Determine key data needed for investment decision making and client communication and work cross functionally to produce;
• Ensure the firm is maintaining and furthering its edge as an equity investor through superior market and asset selection, vertical integration, use of technology and data, and ESG leadership;
• Structure and negotiate new investment vehicles including separately managed accounts and co-mingled funds;
• Ensure property business plans optimize investment performance;
• Develop excellent working relationships with all team members including JV partners, property managers, project managers, and third parties;
• Communicate investment status and plan to senior management and investors;
• Visit markets and properties to validate business plan assumptions, monitor property operations, and identify opportunities and issues to improve operations;
• Stay informed on market information and help guide our client’s Research team to inform their viewpoint and recommend a course of action for each market they cover;
• Provide direction and support to investor relations and reporting staff to ensure best-in-class client communication;
• Help lead the firm's capital market strategies and process;
• Assist in identifying, structuring, and negotiating equity capital relationships both at a portfolio and entity level with institutional and family office capital;
• Explore new strategic business opportunities, direct analysis, build business case to support, execute entry into new opportunity areas;
• Together with the executive leadership, set and implement the company’s overall strategic direction and priorities, and monitor the performance of the company as well as the performance of each project/initiative.
• 15+ years real estate investment, portfolio management, and asset management experience, multifamily preferred;
• Proven investment acumen and track record. Ability to “go deep” into financial models and to identify and evaluate key data for investment decision making;
• Leader within the industry and established relationships within the institutional investment community;
• Excellent management skills with track record of building teams and identifying, mentoring, and growing talent;
• Experience working cross-functionally ideally in a vertical integrated company;
• Experience structuring and negotiating joint ventures and institutional investment products, including complicated tax structures with taxable and/or foreign investors;
• Strong analytical skills and experience with financial modeling using Excel or Excel-based tools;
• Experience in successfully implementing and overseeing value-add capital projects to achieve significant ROI on multifamily assets;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Ability to clearly present investment status and plan to senior management and investors.
Technical/ Educational Requirements:
• Strong academic credentials required including a Bachelor’s degree;
• An MBA or Master’s degree in a relevant area is preferred;
• CFA or CAIA preferred;
• Strong computer skills; experience with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint; experience with Yardi, revenue management and Argus a plus.
Physical Requirements (amount of standing, walking, sitting, typing, lifting etc.):
• Stand and walk or sit alternatively depending on specific needs of the day
• Have occasional need to perform the following physical activities: Bend/Stoop/Squat: Frequent need
Climb Stairs: Rare need Push or Pull Reach Above Shoulder: Frequent need
• Constant need to perform the following physical activities: Writing/Typing: Frequent need Finger Dexterity: Frequent need Grasping/Turning: Frequent need
• Lifting/Carrying (paperwork, deliveries, files, computers, miscellaneous): 20 lbs. - 25lbs.: Rare need Less than 20 lbs.: Frequent need Under 10 lbs.: Constant need
Vision Requirements (Visual needs for the position – color, small details, inspections etc.):
• Constant need to complete forms, read and review reports and a wide variety of correspondence, view the computer screen. Frequent need to see small detail.
Hearing Requirements (Hearing needs for the position –telephone, meetings, etc.):
• Constant need to communicate over the telephone and in-person with corporate-level employees.
Speaking Requirements (Clarity, customer interaction, presentations, etc.):
• Constant need to communicate over the telephone and in person.
• Must be comfortable speaking to senior management.
Travel Requirements (Travel needs for the position – from property to property, travel, etc.):
• 25-30% travel may be required.
Reasoning Development (Low, Medium, High – for ability to apply logical thinking to defined problem solving):
• HIGH. Must be able to apply principles of logical thinking to define problems, collect pertinent data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and initiate an appropriate course of action. Must effectively convey ideas, images, and goals to a diverse group of personalities.