Interested and qualified candidates, please submit your resume to:
Christina Smith | email@example.com | 617-875-3378
Our client is an innovative, vertically integrated real estate developer and investor focused on life sciences. The firm is committed to excellence in this sector, providing premier Class A spaces in both California and Massachusetts that focus on the science and business of their clients. The firm focuses on innovative design concepts, many of which are proprietary, to build life science centers of the future. These life science centers are based on a modular laboratory system, which allows the firm flexibility to make quick changes and modifications to laboratories to adapt to evolving science needs. Partnered with one of the world's leading real estate firms, the platform is currently approximately 4.5 million square feet with additional available capital for investments in excess of $1billion.
The Platform Execution Leadership Role is a leadership and execution position focused on the East Coast region. The ideal candidate is a real estate investor with an entrepreneurial mindset and preferably experience executing complicated entitlements, developing projects, and managing the leasing and operations of multiple assets, experience developing life science R&D projects desired but not required. The candidate will work hand in hand with the Boston lead to drive the execution and design of the firm’s East Coast R&D strategy. This role is operations and execution focused with attention to detail, organization, and analytical strength to complement the strong business development and relationship-oriented counterpart.
Acquisition / Disposition:
· Understand market trends and utilize information to develop strategy for region, communicate market strategy to rest of team.
· Drive portfolio composition with a mindset to strengths/weakness/opportunities/threats to achieve platform vision.
· Identify and develop robust and accurate business plans.
· Monitor Market conditions to advise on appropriate disposition timeline to maximize value.
· Assist in educating potential lenders about market, portfolio, platform, and individual assets.
· Participate in loan negotiations with a focus on execution to ensure all test, covenants, and milestones will be achieved.
· Regularly update lenders on progress of respective assets
· Monitor and report on key components of loan agreement including milestones, budgets, leasing, etc.
· Ensure all key business points of loan are understood during execution of initiatives such as disposition, sale, or recapitalization.
· Develop strategy to deliver of projects from acquisition through lease up. Participate in design and construction meetings when available.
· Participate and lead entitlement efforts.
· Ensure development managers are meeting project milestones and project budgets.
· Develop robust external delivery team by developing strong relationships with Architects, Engineers, General Contractors, the trades, and consultants.
· Ensure questions are answered to lenders and consultants to ensure quick payment of invoices.
· Assist in understanding market conditions and negotiating deals.
· Provide input into quarterly leasing guidelines.
Property Management / Accounting:
· Ensure property management is operating in accordance with the Genesis Platform service level.
· Deal with issues that occur bringing buildings online, helping tenants move in, and other out of normal course issues.
· Interview and ensure property operators (managers, engineers, etc.) are the right person.
· Ensure PMs deliver financial information in accordance with accounting guidelines.
· Review monthly financial statements and help explain variances.
· Develop property level budgets and review cam reconciliations.
- Experience working through real estate entitlement and development processes. Platform’s investments with be mostly conversions or developments. Candidate should have experience working through development projects with all key stakeholders including architects, contractors, key trades and local jurisdictions, ideally in top life science markets.
- Strong network of brokers, contractors, architects, trades, legal, and consultants in the market with the ability to leverage this network to increase platform value.
- Experience working with institutional capital sources / partners in past roles. Must be able to direct and work hand in hand with a team that creates top-tier development teams, property management teams, financial reporting materials and advises on underwriting models and investment memos. Appreciation for the importance of strong property management, accounting, asset management and investment analysis required.
- Work hand-in-hand with existing team to continue to grow the platform. Ability to think creatively and explore ideas and opportunities with a fresh mindset while retaining discipline and focus on platform strategy.
- Experience working on Life Science R&D real estate entitlements, developments with asset management and decisions making analysis responsibilities preferred.
- Construction experience is a bonus.
- Experience in a real estate leadership role preferred.
- Minimum of 10-15 years of real estate investment and development experience.
- Prior experience at private equity firm, life science REIT or prominent real estate development company preferred.
- Must be located in the Greater Boston Region and willing to work in person.