Interested and qualified candidates, please submit your resume to:
Kate Mecke | email@example.com | 617.721.0535
Lauren Hodgetts | firstname.lastname@example.org | 917.270.4139
New York, NY
This is a superb opportunity for a strong leader who can embrace our client’s mission, while influencing change and increasing productivity. The position provides a unique opportunity to:
· Hold a senior, high-impact position
· Determine the scope, budget, and direction for one of our client’s development regions
· Contribute to creating the next generation of housing and community innovation
· Participate in a stimulating, intellectual, and professional environment
· Have responsibility/authority for developing new work as well as the structure, pacing, and strategic direction of a dozen or more projects at a time
The Regional Vice President of Development reports directly to the Executive Vice President of Development. To carry out his/her responsibilities, this professional will work closely and effectively with other staff members, including those from its Finance, Legal, Asset Management, Property Management, Accounting & Finance, and Community Life groups.
The Regional Vice President is responsible for developing and implementing the strategy and business plan for the region relative to scope and location of the work, staffing plan and budget. The primary responsibility of the Regional Vice President is to build and maintain a pipeline of real estate development projects and to supervise the execution of those projects from initial conception through construction, to lease-up and stabilized occupancy or sale. Success in this position will be measured in terms of the scale, quality, pace and financial performance of the development portfolio for which he/she is responsible as well as the effectiveness, growth and professional well-being of the development staff in the region.
· Create and sustain a robust real estate development pipeline consistent with the client’s mission and strategic goals.
· Ensure that all development projects within the Region are designed, financed, and constructed in a manner consistent with the client’s goals, standards, and underwriting guidelines.
· Develop and manage the budget for the Region.
· Be a resource to Project Managers on technical issues surrounding development projects at various stages of completion.
· Facilitate strong communication and collaboration between the field and support teams internally, including the legal, finance and construction teams.
· Ensure the project management team is aligned with all corporate objectives.
· Travel within the region on a regular basis to monitor project progress.
· Be the key contact in all applications with agencies/government and the point person and signatory on all project-level documents.
· Ensure that project managers and other regional development staff receive the appropriate training to reach the client’s standards. Develop yearly individual employee action plans and monitor performance quarterly. Perform annual and periodic reviews of employee performance.
· Collaborate with Property Management and Asset Management to ensure the long-term sustainability of the client’s portfolio of developments within the region.
· Reinforce the client’s brand as a “best practices” real estate practitioner in each market.
· Act as a “Player/Coach” for the project managers and run interference as needed.
· Establish team priorities and provide help and/or additional resources where project managers may require it.
· Assign roles on new projects and manage staff to ensure timeliness and accuracy.
· Embody the client’s values of integrity, relationship orientation and overall excellence.
Requirements, Education, and Experience:
· 10+ years of successful development of affordable housing.
· Masters Degree in Real Estate, City Planning, or related disciplines.
· Experience in all aspects of the development process, including planning, permitting, design, construction, underwriting, and finance.
· Proven ability to oversee the structuring of complex financial transactions to maximize both social and financial returns and manage corporate risk.
· Polished, articulate public speaker, comfortable with a wide variety of audiences.
· Significant experience managing others and collaborating in multi-functional teams.
· Experience closing Low Income Housing Tax Credit funded projects.
· Experience with state/local politics, government planning, and resource allocation processes, including establishing effective relationships with town officials, planning boards, and neighborhood groups.
· Results-oriented, can-do attitude with a professional discipline and entrepreneurial spirit.
· Innovative thinker, creative problem solver; quickly identifies and resolves customer issues.
· Hands-on, willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
· Collaborative, flexible, team player; relates well to colleagues at all levels of the organization.
· Values diversity to ensure multi-talented team strengths; promotes a spirit of inclusion.
· Identifies employee opportunities for growth.
· Sense of urgency, constantly asking, “How can we improve, be the best in the business, and how can I best support this organization?”