Our client is a Boston based real estate company that focuses on the acquisition, development and management of complicated mixed-use urban projects with major residential, commercial and retail components. The firm and its principals have a long and successful track record in planning, permitting, financing, constructing and managing complicated mixed-use developments in both Boston and Cambridge. The team’s success is directly related to the expertise and skill of its professionals and its commitment to a comprehensive neighborhood process, which engages all stakeholders including landowners, local businesses, municipal departments, state agencies and elected officials. The company is currently leading the development of nearly 20 million square feet of mixed-use development in Greater Boston.
This position will be filled by someone who is expected to play a meaningful role on the development team for one of the Boston region’s most active real estate firms. The ideal candidate has direct experience with various facets of real estate development, including but not limited to project management, site acquisitions, land use permitting & entitlements, design, construction management, underwriting, market research and project financing.
The Senior Development Manager will work as a team member and manage direct report(s) on multiple projects that are actively underway, and also expected to be exposed to future pipeline and pursuits. The Senior Development Manager is expected to learn quickly, contribute meaningfully and lead effectively from day one. It is anticipated that the Senior Development Manager will grow organically within the firm, ultimately becoming an integral member of the organization and capable of managing an increased leadership role.
The ideal candidate has excellent project management skills, team management skills, permitting & municipal coordination skills, design management skills and analytical skills.
- Manage and oversee project design and strategy meetings. Oversee coordination with ownership and investor team and/or with designers, engineers, contractors, etc.
- Support and participate in local, state and federal permitting processes including preparation and submission of permitting packages, and coordinating and meeting with consultant teams, public officials and key stakeholders.
- Prepare and maintain complex financial models and oversee Development Associate(s) in the maintenance and updating of the financial models.
- Underwriting of and first-pass due-diligence on potential development transactions
- Participate in due diligence processes, including managing consultant and municipal documentation review and preparation.
- Manage the design process and design consultants for the development projects.
- Oversee and manage Development Associate(s) on the project(s) for which Senior Development Manager is overseeing.
- Assist in project management and reporting including the managing of monthly draw requests, leveling consultant bids, reviewing legal documents, and furnishing information, applications, and reports to public agencies, third parties, investors, and financiers.
- Manage and oversee the effort to prepare and update cash flow projections for projects, using Excel, to support development, redevelopment, potential leasing, refinancing, and/or disposition scenarios.
- Manage and oversee the preparation of offering memorandum packages used in the solicitation of Equity Investor commitments and/or Debt Financing (construction and permanent).
- Establish and maintain project development budgets, then manage the project in line with the approved budgets
- BS/BA, preferably with an engineering, construction, real estate, architecture, or business major
- Minimum of 6-8 years of direct real estate development experience.
- Strong project management skills with experience in due diligence, permitting, programming, design, financial analysis, project financing, and construction management of real estate development projects.
- Solid team management skills including ability to oversee, mentor and delegate to direct report(s), particularly Development Associate(s)
- Strong knowledge of budgeting, scheduling, underwriting, due diligence, and development proformas are required.
- Experience analyzing ground-up developments among several asset classes (multifamily, life science, office, hotel, retail, etc.)
- Experience in pursuing, underwriting and due diligence of potential development opportunities.
- Coordination with construction oversight design development team during construction.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to efficiently manage multiple deliverables/priorities and meet deadlines
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint required.
- Excellent organization, project management and team management skills.
- Excellent analytical and quantitative skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Results-oriented with strong attention to detail and ability to produce quality work in a consistent manner.
- Ability to present work in a concise, complete, and easily digestible manner.
- Self-starter who has the ability to learn quickly, work independently and contribute as a team member.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks with minimal guidance in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously, organize and coordinate work efficiently, set priorities, and meet deadlines in a demanding work environment.
- Team oriented with ability to work within the organizational structure and to manage and mentor direct reports.