Our client is a leading New England-based commercial real estate developer and operator. Since its inception 30 years ago the firm has acquired and developed over 130 projects totaling more than 20 million square feet of life science, industrial/distribution, and retail assets. In addition to ground-up development projects, the firm also undertakes extensive redevelopment projects on many of its building acquisitions.
This position will oversee and maintain responsibility for our client’s Construction Management, which includes the preconstruction group, project managers, and construction accountants. This person will collaborate with the firm’s Principals and Senior Management on project strategy and execution. Project work includes ground up construction across a variety of asset classes, including life sciences, industrial, retail, and multi-family. In addition, the firm executes on a wide range of redevelopment projects within existing buildings and associated tenant buildouts.
The Senior Vice President of Construction reports to the Principals and CFO and oversees the Construction Management team. This role will work closely with the firm’s Principals and Senior Management Team (Acquisitions, Property Management, Finance, Development, Accounting and Asset Management) from project inception through completion.
- Direct Project Involvement: This position works with the firm’s principals directly on the execution of larger, more complex projects, as well as with the Project Managers in ad hoc problem-solving situations.
- Preconstruction Group: Oversee pre-construction group (three members) who are responsible for developing scope of services with the Principals/Asset Managers and subsequent bidding, price leveling and contract negotiations. This group is also responsible for engaging and overseeing property-related (scope varies by project) and environmental consultants as part of the acquisition due diligence process. The SVP role includes: i) oversight of the acquisition-related work; and ii) final budget approval, prior to Asset Manager/CFO sign-off, and overall oversight for existing property projects.
- Project Managers: Engage with and oversee project management group (six members) who are responsible for project execution and contractor oversight. This group oversees onsite project review, contract adherence, change order coordination and progress payment approval. The SVP role includes contractor dispute resolution, change order approvals, troubleshooting support, and overall project oversight.
- Construction Accounting: Oversee the construction accounting group (four members) who are responsible for administering and updating pre-construction and project budgets. This group works with pre-construction and project management teams on project progress and change orders, and with contractors on progress payments/lien waivers and insurance coverage compliance. Budgets are managed in both detailed Excel files and within Yardi property management system. The SVP role includes budget and overall oversight.
- 20+ years of real estate development experience including urban development, site work and foundation system work.
- Life sciences, warehouse, multi-family, and design-development experience a plus
- Change order review experience.
- BS in construction/project management and/or engineering, a plus.
- High proficiency with Bluebeam or other construction management software.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize various projects and responsibilities.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, and organization skills.
- Creative problem solver.
- Excellent interpersonal and listening skills to facilitate collaboration.
- Experienced negotiator.
- Experience working directly with tenants.
- Ability to deliver difficult messages (internally and externally).
- Hands-on (without micromanaging) managerial approach.
- Highly motivated and energetic with strong sense of urgency.
- Experience with Microsoft Office, especially Excel, Word, Access and PowerPoint.
- Knowledge of Yardi a plus.