Our client is an international real estate advisor that acquires, develops, and manages properties and places – specializing in mixed-use and office environments in the world’s leading cities. The firm’s mission is to create long-term value through our global expertise, local knowledge and passion for real estate. They have offices in Boston, London, Munich, Stockholm, Sydney, Tokyo, and Washington DC managing approximately 8.9m sq. ft.
The company is looking to hire a commercial real estate professional to join our Asset Management team and lead five experienced internal asset management professionals responsible for the asset strategies and all operational aspects across its East Coast Portfolio, consisting of eight assets totaling 3.5M sq ft, including the lease-up and refurbishment of an 800k sq ft asset in Boston.
The Vice President, East Coast will report to the Senior Vice President Marketing and US Asset Management (based in Boston) and be in Boston (hybrid remote/office model) with domestic travel required.
The Vice President will lead the development and execution of strategic asset business plans in line with organizational goals focused on value preservation and creation.
Additionally, this role will promote and enhance the firm’s presence and brand in Boston and Washington, DC through engagement with tenants, prospective tenants, and the local real estate and brokerage communities. As a leader with expertise in the Boston market, this role will be instrumental in providing market insights and recommendations to investors to optimize value from the current portfolio and considerations for future investment.
Candidates will be adept in sophisticated and complex asset management, leasing, capital projects, and commercial real estate investments. Candidates must demonstrate exceptional communication skills and leadership and people management abilities, as he / she will lead cross-functional teams to holistically support the East Coast portfolio. The Vice President will build and maintain close working relationships with the development, finance, legal and marketing teams to ensure an aligned view of the East Coast assets, priorities, delivery of projects and financials.
As part of the company’s regional leadership team, the VP will collaborate globally, developing processes and protocols to ensure adherence to established governance procedures and accuracy of financial reporting, as well as assuming responsibility for investor reporting as it relates to asset performance, cash flow forecasting and capital investments.
- Lead development and delivery of strategy, objectives, and performance requirements for each asset with cross-functional teams representing marketing, finance, property management, legal, technology and development
- Ensure leasing strategy and team aligns with market and strategic goals; oversee lease negotiations with comfort in leading varying size transactions
- Oversee creation of financial analyses and business justifications for strategic portfolio initiatives including redevelopments, refurbishments, and capital projects. Prepare recommendations to senior management and investors based on underwriting assumptions and appropriate return parameters
- Contribute to the budget planning process and business plan formulation; oversee preparation of operating budgets, management of expenditure, and budget controls in collaboration with finance and 3rd party property managers. Anticipate and communicate unbudgeted impacts to financial performance
- Provide leadership and coaching to associates to ensure their success in tasks relating to investment and asset management
- Manage a market profile that aligns with the company’s brand; develop and maintain positive relationships with a broad range of industry professionals including agents, owners, financiers, legal advisors, and property consultants
- Prepare business plans for new investments, investment memoranda and executive presentations as necessary
- Provide clear and timely communication to executives and investors
The successful candidate will have
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- 15+ years' experience in a commercial real estate investment platform with a focus on office and retail leasing and asset management, and exposure to portfolio management, acquisitions, and capital project activities
- Excellent networking and relationship building skills along with strong relationships and reputation within the construction and real estate industries
- Experience leading, managing and training a team of early career analysts and associates
- Ability to handle complex shifting priorities, and creatively and pragmatically solve problems
- Experience working across functional teams to develop and achieve goals
- A customer-focused approach to asset management, taking into consideration a wide-array of perspectives including tenants, investors, and internal teams
- Creative, proactive approach to anticipating tenant/customer needs, and negotiating with tenants to achieve strong outcomes
- Demonstrated leadership skills that cultivate collaboration among internal and external teams
- Familiarity with legal and technical documents (leases, licenses, management agreements, etc.)
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills to communicate effectively with leadership, industry peers, vendors, and colleagues across levels and cross- functional teams
- Proficiency with ARGUS, cash flow modeling required, YARDI Voyager and Elevate Construction manager preferred
- A self-starter that works well with limited direction. Suitability to an organization that places a premium on performance, quality and collaboration