Interested and qualified candidates, please submit your resume to:
Kate Mecke, Director – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ashley Brown, Associate -email@example.com
Montclair, New Jersey
A Northern New Jersey-based real estate investment firm is seeking an Asset Management Analyst to support its continued growth. The firm invests capital on behalf of institutional and high-net-worth limited partners with a primary focus on value-add strategies. This is an opportunity to execute the business plan from start to finish; the hire will be involved in all facets of the real estate investment process, including acquisition on-boarding, overseeing property operations, executing on capital and renovation projects, assisting in leasing efforts, the development and monitoring of asset-specific business plans, investor and lender reporting, and facilitating the disposition process.
The candidate will report to and work closely with the firm’s principals. The individual should be able to thrive in an environment that is highly entrepreneurial, both strategic and creative, and which requires strong skills in the areas of analytics, multitasking, prioritizing and communication.
A background in real estate asset/property management is an absolute must. The position is for someone who wants to further build upon his/her scalable skills that will allow them to run a real estate investment from start to finish.
Execution / Strategy
- Build and maintain financial models to support investment and leasing decisions
- Synthesize information down to key decision points and situations needing attention from firm principals
- Prioritize, coordinate, communicate and direct asset management activities arising out of approved business plan to deliver investment performance
- Assist in the development of management policies and procedures to ensure that best practices are being employed and documented, and updated on a continual basis
- Maintain database of tenant expirations and notice dates across the firm’s portfolio holdings
- Analyze proposed leasing transactions and track against underwriting
- Assist internal and external leasing teams on preparation of marketing materials, lease proposals, lease agreement negotiations
- Coordinate access for and lead prospect tenant tours with leasing brokers
- Develop knowledge of local markets and competitive properties; track market activity and maintain database of lease comps
Capital Projects / Major Repairs
- Develop scopes of work for tenant-driven fit-out projects and base-building capital upgrades
- Engage with architectural and/or engineering firms to develop plans for permitting and construction
- Spearhead competitive bidding process
- Prepare construction contracts
- Monitor construction progress through periodic site visits
- Review and process payment applications
- Ensure adherence to project budget and schedule
- Obtain project close-out documents, including certificates of approval/occupancy, warranties, as-built plans, etc.
Acquisitions / On-Boarding
- Provide pre-acquisition input including review of financial, operational, and leasing assumptions
- Assist acquisitions team in the due diligence process, including property condition assessments, environmental analyses, and lease review
- Manage coordination of post-acquisition activities and integration of assets into the firm’s ownership portfolio.
- Develop annual operating and capital budgets in conjunction with property management team
- Review annual expense (CAM/RET) expense reconciliations
- Review monthly property operating reports, identify operational/financial issues, and coordinate changes in property management execution to meet operational goals and maximize investment value
- Coordinate with lenders on reporting requirements, periodic covenant calculations, draw requests and hedging activities
- Maintain key dates and milestones as set forth in loan documents
- Facilitate lender lease approval process when required
- Track, analyze and challenge return performance of individual investments against original underwriting.
- Prepare and present quarterly and annual asset management reports, business plans, cash flow forecasts and leasing updates to joint-venture partners
- Bachelor’s degree required with excellent academic record
- 1-4 years of experience minimum; a background in real estate asset management, leasing, or property management is an absolute must.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel is required - candidates will be tested
- Working knowledge of Argus highly preferred
- Experience with financial reports generated by Yardi/MRI or other accounting software
Soft Skills / Personality
- Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Must possess meticulous attention to detail and take pride in their work
- Organized and efficient, with ability to define priorities; good at figuring out the processes necessary to “get things done”
- A confident, team player who listens to internal and external input but can take decisive action
- Ability to analyze challenges and make considered decisions in a timely manner based on objectives, risks, implications, and costs.
- General knowledge of real estate finance, valuation, and capital markets
- Understanding of basic accounting concepts and financial statements
- Understanding of real estate documentation pertaining to accounting and property operations