New York, New York
Our client provides world-class service in the residential rental housing industry. Their innovative vertically integrated business model integrates the management, development and investment disciplines of the rental housing industry on international, regional and local levels. This unique approach and commitment to hiring the best professionals have resulted in record growth, making them one of the most respected and trusted global real estate companies.
Their vertically integrated business model includes both investment and service-oriented businesses, enabling our client to maintain a constant presence in local markets and create value in all phases of the real estate cycle. Their international platform provides economies of scale, financial sophistication, institutional quality reporting and tremendous capital relationships, while their city offices provide local market expertise and execution.
Supported by a global team of 15,000+ employees, our client’s experienced and cross-functional executive team boasts on average over 23 years of industry experience and provides a diverse perspective throughout the investment process.
Ensures the on-time and on-budget completion of assigned construction and new development projects by managing all activities related to the planning, building, budgeting/financial, safety and code compliance of the assigned new construction and development projects.
· Manages the activities associated with development and new construction projects by reviewing project specifications, blueprints, and plans, providing input into preparing hard cost estimates and project budgets, determining the staffing requirements and assigning team members and sub-contractors to jobs, and managing the day-to-day progress of the project from initial construction through delivery.
· Participates in and/or leads initial and on-going project planning meetings, assists in developing the project’s scope of work and specifications, and prepares the project budget, timeline, and construction schedule.
· Prepares and distributes bid packages, reviews, and evaluates bids and proposals from suppliers, vendors, and sub-contractors, develops, negotiates, and approves contracts for selected contractors, sub-contractors, and other service providers needed to complete the project work.
· Reviews and recommends change orders or amendments to the specifications, blueprints, and plans when appropriate, and ensures related documents and budgets are amended as needed to reflect changes to the project specifications.
· Oversees compliance with the Company’s safety standards and applicable codes and other legal and regulatory requirements by staying informed about relevant codes and ordinances and permit requirements, and by preparing and/or submitting required documentation and other information to appropriate agencies.
· Communicates with key business leaders to provide updates on the status of projects, surface and address concerns, and plan specific actions as needed to ensure the on-time and on- budget completion of the projects. Develops and supervises team members by interviewing, hiring, orienting, and training employees, and manages their performance in accordance with Company policies, values, and business practices.
· Conducts project site inspections as needed to monitor progress and support project-assigned team members, steps in as needed to address and resolve issues and problems, and recommends, approves, and implements modifications to the project plans, schedule, staffing, or budget as needed.
· Typically focus on multiple projects, depending on size & complexity.
· Completes various human resources, financial, administrative, and other reports and analysis, and performs other duties as assigned or as necessary.
· Minimum 5 years of experience working on 3+ ground up construction projects with exposure to initial construction through delivery.
· Minimum 3 years of experience managing a team and subcontractors.
· Strong, time management, leadership and decision-making skills.
· Ability to be highly organized, in day-to-day and long-term planning and execution, and to track and maintain complex schedules effectively.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to effectively delegate and negotiate.
· Follows established policies and procedures by monitoring and ensuring compliance with regulatory requirements, organizational standards, and operational processes related to area(s) of responsibility and reporting violations or infractions to appropriate individual(s).
· Practices proper safety techniques in accordance with Company, property, and departmental policies, procedures, and standards by immediately reporting any mechanical or electrical equipment malfunctions, employee/visitor/resident injuries or accidents, or other safety issues to appropriate individual(s).
· Identifies areas for improvement, offers suggestions to improve the overall efficiency and productivity of the Construction & Development business line, and introduces procedures and activities that control costs, improve quality, and drive efficiencies.
· Keeps abreast of current changes in technology, processes, and standards within the industry and area(s) of responsibility by attending internal and external training classes, research and/or subscribing to the internet or other professional publications or utilizing other appropriate method(s) to obtain business and professional information and applies knowledge and practices to area(s) of responsibility.
· Incumbents work in an office environment but spend a significant portion of time at the construction sites.
· Incumbents must be able to work outside in all weather conditions and around construction sites.
· Incumbents must be able to view computer screens, mobile devices, and other electronic equipment for extended periods of time where visual strain may result.
· Incumbents must be able to push, pull, lift, carry, or maneuver weights of up to ten (10) pounds independently and twenty-five (25) pounds with assistance.
· Incumbents must be able to work outside in all weather conditions, climb and maneuver around construction sites, and perform physical activities in order to inspect construction sites, equipment, and other areas of the project.
· Regular travel within and outside of the assigned geographic area may be required to attend business meetings, training classes, or other situations necessary for the accomplishment of some or all of the daily responsibilities of this position.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
· Demonstrated ability to read, write, and communicate effectively to develop, comprehend, and complete legal, financial, construction-related, and human resources documents and to provide updates and reports to owners and key business leaders.
· Demonstrated proficiency in word processing, spreadsheet, and database management programs in order to complete required reports and employment documents. Experience in applicable company software related to budgeting and overall project management.
· Demonstrated mathematical skills necessary to add, subtract, multiply, and divide numbers, decimals, and fractions, and calculate percentages in order to complete financial records, budgets, and other fiscal reporting information.
· Demonstrated management and supervisory skills sufficient to lead, direct, evaluate, and mentor subordinate and peer employee staff.
· Solid knowledge and understanding of the development and new construction business from both a technical standpoint, and from a project management standpoint.
· High school diploma is required, 4-year college degree is preferred.